Sailing in a narrow and shallow channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kurt

My wife and I recently bought a 31 foot boat and sail it out of a marina that requires us to negotiate a very narrow and very shallow channel with lot of other motor boat traffic (on the weekends). The channel shoals so frequently, the bouys are not marked on any chart so it's a matter of reading the markers as we go. Our prior sailing experience was on a lake and the wide open Chesapeak, so we're new to this particular challenge. So far I've miscalculated the channel several times; bumped bottom once and had to be towed once. It's a sandy bottom, so there's not a great risk of damage to the keel, but I was hoping for any sage advice as to how to best negotiate and master this challenge? Please share your advice with me. Thanks! Kurt

S

Stan Rogacevicz

Know the Depth and Tides

Kurt, You have probably done this, but you could set your depth alarm to give you a couple feet warning. If you don't have one it sure sounds like you need one. Something else that might help is a Tide Clock. They are over priced and not 100% accurate, but it gives you a quick look at where the tide is. The advantage is because you set it yourself you can have it syncronized to your problem area and not have to flip through a chart and factor in the difference from the closest listing every time you go out. Another option is a Tide Tracker from Marisystems. It is an electronic tide and current book for the east coast, but it's usefulness would depend on your distance/difference from one of the hundreds of "tide stations" listed. Other than knowing the depth and currents by using all means availible, local knowledge is the only other key and unfortunatley you are getting that the hard way. Stan "Christy Leigh" c320 #656

C

Charles Duhon

Do you have an engine?

If you have an engine, may I suggest that you run it in neutral as you sail, that way if you have to alter course quickly, you can ignore the wind and be in control more. Lowers your stress level and gives you a chance to run the engine (because most sailors don't use their engines enough) and charges your batteries! We sail our big H-34 in and around our tiny marina and this has helped us. Charles L. Duhon S/V Artistry

J

Jim Russell

GPS ?

When you say narrow, and shifting shaols, I would guess the 30 foot error now available (since May 1) on vertually all GPS units would still be too much. But if 15 feet either side of center works, a simple GPS might help with waypoints, etc.

T

Tom Senator

Ah, yes.....Barnegat Bay...(or should I say shoal)

I know very well the area that you sail in. That is why I live in NJ but sail out of Long Island Sound (Even though I love LBI).... Not much you can do in a very shallow bay with swift currents and shoaling everywhere. But here are a few suggestions. 1) Go slow and stay in the *apparent* middle of the channel. When I say apparent it is not necessarily split in the middle of the buoy markers. *Some* times the deepest part of the channel is closer to the west side away from Long Beach Island. This is due to the currents that go through Barnegat *drag* sand from LBI into the channel. 2) When the channel bends try and stay as far outside the bend on the corner as possible. Even if you have to wait for other boats that are passing the other way (unless of course you are sailing then hopefully they will give you leeway.) The shoaling very often occurs on apparent corners or bends. 3) If possible cross the areas of concern at low tide on its way towards high tide, as pointed out by others. 4) Use your eyes....they are seeing things that you might not even comprehend as warning signs. For instance there is usually some sort of current that is running through there...do you see some (faint?) ripples in the water...that might be telling you that there is some sort of *change* in the bottom at that spot.....who knows it might even be getting deeper, but at least it will give you an idea of the types of spots where there are depth changes in the water. Good luck, enjoy and don't worry if you touch in the bay....that only means you are a real sailor. Plus the bottom there is a mixture of Sand and muck that will likely do very little if any damage to your boat.

C

Clarke W.

Eyes not just front

Don't forget to keep checking behind you to the last markers.Often while fixating on the markers ahead you can find yourself well out of the channel.Check where you are between the markers forward and astern.Leeway from wind and current can carry you away from the channel easily even when the bow is aimed well,basic but sometimes overlooked

E

ed

'ome waters

where is your dock. got to know b.b. pretty well last 4-5 years. excellent mud almost as good as emsworth estuary on south coast of england - yes much experience of that. ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.