Sailing Grand Traverse Bay: Victoria 18 or O'Day 192?

Apr 19, 2020
Catalina 22 Traverse City
I am a first time trailer sailor (have been sailing dinghy's exclusively) and I am looking at both a Victoria 18 and an O'Day 192. They are both in good condition, so I am trying to discern between them which is the better sailboat for my needs. For reference, most, if not all of the usage will be in Grand Traverse bay and Sutton's bay. I am not necessarily concerned with speed, as I will not be using it to race but instead to venture around the bay, camping on Power Island and generally just going for adventures on the sea with some friends. I am mostly concerned about the stability of the boat in the water, storage ability, trailer ability, and comfort among 2-5 people on the vessel. Additionally, the boat will be stored on a permanent mooring when not in use (it will be located at a lake house) so I was wondering if there was any indication which of these boats will be better in that situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
The Admiral and I really enjoyed sailing a Rhodes 19 on Narragansett Bay long ago, when I was at Navy OCS. I think a 19 foot keel boat would be a great idea for you. I don’t have any experience on either of your alternative models. The Rhodes had good room in the cuddly for picnic or camping supplies.

I suggest you go with the boat that feels best to you when you sit in the cockpit, and think about sailing with your friends. I would also give a big plus to a boat with better sails. New sails are not cheap, but good sails (meaning they are close to their designed shape, that is not blown out) add a lot to the joy of sailing. Finally, does either boat look better for camping aboard at anchor? I think the Rhodes 19 would have done well for one or two with a tarp over the boom, and a propane burner.

Good luck. I have visited Grand Traverse Bay, but not sailed on it. It looks like a great sailing area!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I can't say I know either of those boats. I own an O'Day Mariner 19 CB that I think would do just that you are talking about, so either of your choices would be good, I'm sure.

Looking at pictures and sailboatdata.com, the Victoria appears to have the more comfortable cockpit for sailing with friends while the O'Day looks pretty stable with her width and the CB and stub keel.

Keel boats get harder to launch with deeper keels. Really, look at the two boats in person and you'll know.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Victoria 18 cockpit drains chris cross each other. In other words the port drain empties on the starboard side of the hull

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There's a big difference between 2 and 5 people on a 19' boat. Almost any boat would be comfortable for 2. Few would be for 5. 5 in the cockpit is tough on a 30' boat. At some point to make the cockpit usable you need to get some of them out on the rail.
For your intended use I like the ODay. With the CB you may be able to beach it for your camping and I think it's got more room for (Dry) stowage below. It should be a good sailor by the numbers and a few guys on the rail might be helpful. And a portapotty. For being on a mooring a self bailing cockpit is a big step up - unless you're there to bail after each rain. I don't know if either boat has that feature.
The long keel Victoria 18 would likely be more stable.

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
I have an O’Day 192 and while I love it, I couldn’t see fitting 5 people comfortably in it. I’ve sailed with 4 people in the cockpit and it’s already a bit cramped there. For 2 - 3 people it’s just right.

After looking up the Victoria 18, it looks like it has a bigger (longer) cockpit than the O’Day 192 but, that the 192 has a bigger cabin space. I went with the 192 because I wanted a cabin I could overnight in comfortably (relative to other 18’ boats). The 192 is also 200 lbs heavier and has a centerboard tucked away in the keel.

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
I really love the o’Day, don’t know the Victoria. I think both boats seem right for grand traverse in terms of displacement and ballast. I bought my Capri 18 pretty much for grand traverse bay. I had a hunter 170, and at 450lbs, it was a bit light for the typical wind and weather “up-north.”

One thing I was nervous about In my search was centerboards on older boats, I know plenty of people have them with no problem, but it seems like a potential issue. The Victoria has a fixed keel . . .is that right? Harder to launch, but one less moving part to worry about.

I think all boats in this size range will be awfully cozy with 5 on board.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
A shoal keel or swing keel will be much more versatile in terms of anchoring in shallow waters and trailering. I had my 19 with a shoal keel in 20-30mph winds and it handled it much better than expected. No obvious signs of instability. Use common sense when it comes to weather and you shouldnt have any stability issues