Sailing from Daytona to St. Pete Florida Suggested Routes

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I'm on a Hunter 45 Legend and need to bring her around next month from St Pete to Daytona. I would love to hear any tips or advice you can share, and a safe route would be incredible!
Done it several times. Last jump from civilization is Marco. Next stop is either somewhere in the Everglades or if you have enough daylight, one long day from Marco to Marathon.
A common anchorage in the Everglades is Little Shark River. A lot of people complain about bugs there be we've had pretty good luck. You can also anchor anywhere near the everglades just off shore.
Once in Marathon you have several options. Several marinias or the City's mooring field.
Its a two day trip from Marathon to Miami. We always anchor at Rodriques Key. Rodriques Key is also a popular jump off if you are going to Bimini. After Miami its bassically an offshore trip, going in at night with sereral options.
Private message me if you have specific questions.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
A common anchorage in the Everglades is Little Shark River. A lot of people complain about bugs there be we've had pretty good luck. You can also anchor anywhere near the everglades just off shore.
We have anchored in Little Shark River a couple of times. Bugs were not an issue in winter. In June, though, the mosquitos were horrendous. After dark, I ventured outside the cabin to check the anchor, and hurried back into the boat, with a cloud of the little buggers surrounding me.
Our first trip, we ventured a bit upstream and anchored in a nice straight section of river, but the bottom was rocky, and the anchor wouldn't hold. On our other trip, we anchored just inside the entrance to the river, in a dogleg, and had good holding.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
We stopped in Little Shark River Thanksgiving week and the mosquitos were not an issue until we fired up the propane grill.

You literally could see a cloud heading for us. Just like in the cartoons.