Sailing days over? How about a house boat?

Jan 10, 2012
Nordic 40 Harpswell
I’ve enjoyed your write ups of trawler life, Bruce. As a former sailboat owner you have a good perspective to compare the pros and cons of the two. Lynnie and I could see moving to a trawler or something similar at some point down the road.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I should add I've seen this house boat regularly docking up, picking up family and friends, and going in and out of the harbor. It looks pretty nimble with two outboards, considering the hull type and high sided configuration. I haven't seen it moving at higher speeds. Anyone know what type of speed this would achieve in flat water with the 2 50hp outboards?

I know shanty boat designs that are popular these days. They are self propelled houseboats like this, but much smaller craft, designed for inland waterways. They could get in trouble fast in open water.

Then we've all seen the true houseboat, that is really a barge that is usually towed, if it goes anywhere at all.
Houseboat far gable.jpg

This houseboat seems different. At 36' with a scow type of hull with ample outboard power, it is pretty plush living, in a simple, not complex(i.e. economical), 'boat'.

The owner is a seasoned sailor and knows the water. He'll put this new boat to very good use.

On the other hand, a 'boat' like this in the hands of someone with little experience, could be a problem without good planing and knowing it's limitations as a boat.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
This houseboat seems different. At 36' with a scow type of hull with ample outboard power, it is pretty plush living, in a simple, not complex(i.e. economical), 'boat'.
Tom, that shanty boat is super cute and looks like loads of fun. I'd love something like that. I don't see how it steers (where the pilot can see, etc.) and I see a metal drum hull with a dock structure over it. Is that the house boat you are talking about? If so, it would be a waste of power to put a large engine on her. A barge would go great under 250hp as long as it wasn't too heavy. It would make sense to put a shallow keel down the centre to keep her from slipping in the turns and add to stability for a vessel that would be top heavy. Calm waters only. Otherwise, it would be like San Francisco during "the big one" inside the house. I think it might be easy to forget you're on a boat when you leave the dishes out.

Two things I love about the floating house idea - Winter and Summer location living without a moving van, and property taxes don't change because you decide to build yourself a deck or improve your view.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Tom, in re-reading your post, I realized you said two 50hp motors, not 250hp:redface: so sorry.
Another thought. My wife and I are trying to pickup a house to rent as a short-term vacation rental on AirB&B or something. A houseboat that could move from one location to another, could always rent at high season and as waterfront property.
I'm going to seriously think about that.
- Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Tom, that shanty boat is super cute and looks like loads of fun. I'd love something like that. I don't see how it steers (where the pilot can see, etc.) and I see a metal drum hull with a dock structure over it. Is that the house boat you are talking about? If so, it would be a waste of power to put a large engine on her. A barge would go great under 250hp as long as it wasn't too heavy. It would make sense to put a shallow keel down the centre to keep her from slipping in the turns and add to stability for a vessel that would be top heavy. Calm waters only. Otherwise, it would be like San Francisco during "the big one" inside the house. I think it might be easy to forget you're on a boat when you leave the dishes out.

Two things I love about the floating house idea - Winter and Summer location living without a moving van, and property taxes don't change because you decide to build yourself a deck or improve your view.
- Will (Dragonfly)
Only the first house boat posted , the Jeannie Teal, is self powered, Will. The helmsman steers in a cockpit on the bow of the boat. Great visibility up there, wheel, controls. Photos of the helm are in the builders link I attached to the first post. 2, 50 HP outboards power the scow.

The second house boat is not self powered. It is towed to it's mooring once a season, and returned to it's winter berth, in the fall.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes, but then there were the BABES:yikes::yikes::yikes::laugh:
and they tend to like warm water and weather... and from the look of it margarita's.