Sailing and Socializing

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Melody Miller

Hi Guys and Gals: I would really like to entertain on my boat more, but I have a social dilemna. Seems like everyone wants one or two weeks notice to do anything. If I invite friends or couples to go sailing I have no idea what the weather is going to be like on any particular date. So when said day comes and there is no wind, what do you do? Cancel or just motor around? I'd really like to know. Thanks Melody

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Ask Dr. Laura

Don't cancel. Just sit in the marina and let them get a taste of the local culture. In most the the harbors, its better scenery than sitting in a park. Have a few cool ones and make a picnic out of it. This is exactly what we end up doing (winds 0-5 or winds 30-40) just have a picnic and socialize. Still better than being at home with the telemarketers selling you something. If there is no wind you can always take them out for a little moto-sail and make them think that they are sailing. Most of them don't know the difference (do they?).

J

Jon Bastien

Depends on the pre-planning...

I agree with Steve- Don't cancel. Go to the boat and enjoy it anyway. Here in the Keys, we have a reef about 7 miles south of here- A great reason to be sociable on a boat, right? We usually make our boating plans based on a reef trip. If the wind is too light, we'll motor-sail; If too strong or seas too rough, we'll go north instead- Where the weather's not so rough. If boating is completely out of the question (hurricane?), we'll sit around the local sailing club drinking adult beverages, exchanging lies and excuses- er, sailing stories. ;o) --Jon Bastien H23/25...

B

Bryan C.

Less of an advance

I usually make the invites a day or two in advance, when I have a reasonable expectectation of the weather (still can be wrong). Who needs two weeks advance notice? If not available, maybe next time.

R

Rick Webb

Make Your Own Schedule

I am not even sure what country I'll be in a couple of weeks away most times. You decide when you want to go invite them and let them adjust their schedules if they want to go. Hell I will even change my own schedule when possible a couple of days out if somebody wants to go out. But two weeks is a little too much to ask for.

M

Melody Miller

People are Sooooo Busy

Hi Brian: Tis true about the 2 weeks notice. The people in the Washington D.C. area must be the busiest people in the world I've never seen anything like it. They need to go sailing very badly.<g> Melody

J

John J

Socializing

We invite people all the time, sometimes they come sometimes they don't. Then there is the group who invites themselves (usually the ones who know you have a boat, and you most likely would not invite anyway). If they come great, if not we enjoy the boat just as much. The bimini keeps the southern sun, or rain off of us, the refrig, keeps the beer and food cold and the head is only 10 feet away. Sail or not sail, it beats the hell out of the office.

C

Capn' Odie

You missed the boat.

Good Morning everyone, We have many folks coming to the boat on any given day. (We try to hold the numbers down). Very little actual inviting goes on. The way we work it, is to inform all who indicated they want to go, is to set a time, on a given day. The boat leaves at that time unless contact is made. But, not to be cruel, we will wait 15 minutes. If you "scheduled" 2 weeks in advance, the rule applies, doesn't matter. The boat leaves wind or no wind because we have found being on the water, for rousing conversation and for FOOD & DRINK is the important part. Make your day out of what it is. Yes, we have left without some people, but we found that those groups are too busy, or not interested enough to make an effort to be on time or to call us in time. We give the boat's phone number to all our friends and invitees. THE MORE THE MERRIER!! Capn' Odie

J

Jeff Isenhour

Let them decide

I go out to the boat every weekend. If someone asks to go out I just say that I'll be out at the marina. If you want to show up then come along.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

A day or two max

I *might* make plans for the weekend on Weds but rarely further in advance than that. Weather, especially in PNW, is just to fluky. I usually just call those folks who expressed an interest & let them know I'm heading out that night (or the next - whatever) and would love to have them join me. If they decline, I move on to the next ones on the list. Unless it's a weekend cruise, two weeks is ridiculous. If they're too busy, let them get by without the joy of sailing. I guess the other option would be to tell them to call you on a day when they're free (or the day before) and the weather looks good. Put the ball in *their* court. If it's nice, you'll probably be down there anyway. LaDonna

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

No wind or rain...party is still on

No wind...motor to a nice anchorage, drop a hook and spend the day relaxing in the sun and/or swimming, reading, listening to music, reading. Grill lunch...dinner...spend the night as planned (if planned). I've spent many a pleasant weekend on the Chesapeake with friends doing just that when there was no wind...and loved every minute. Rain...that usually means dock party at my YC. Since all us stinkpotters are on covered docks, the sailors have little trouble finding a place to go to get out of the rain. However, landlubber guests usually cancel when it rains unless the weather turns sour after they've arrived.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Come if you can...

I've learned not to base my activities on the caprice of others. I typically invite people whenever it suits me. Sometimes long in advance, sometimes a run into someone at the store buying drinks to go out and grab them to go with me. I love to be on my boat no matter what, so me decision to go out is not biased by whether or not anyone else comes with me. As to getting weathered out, I'll go out in almost any snot short of something that I think is going to get us hurt, or that has the legitimate potential to become something that is going to get us hurt (yes, I know that almost any weather can produce nastyness, but most won't produce breaking seas without warning). I'll let my guest decide whether or not to come with. My boat is too small to be much fun to lounge around on for anymore Darcy and myself. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

R

Ron

The Approch

Guess it's how you approch your friends. My friends (all two of them) know that an invitation to them is at my convenience not their's. Friends are like kids; you have to train them early on. If I invite them on short notice, like say the night before, and they can't go I always make it a point to tell them what a great time they missed, even if it rained all weekend. Usually after two or three times they fold and go on a moments notice. Besides, land luber friends are usually a liabilty on a boat. Get to know the people at your marina and meet them somewhere, one on your boat and them on their's... Dear Abby... I mean, Ron

B

Bob Camarena

My Favorite

My "favorite" guests are those that accept an invitation and then show up at the dock informing you that they absolutely have to be back by a certain time. When inviting those new to sailing I've learned to always take care to advise them that one of the charms of sailing is it's unpredictibility and if they have other commitments that day that we should probably do it some other time.

Status
Not open for further replies.