Saildrives

Sep 6, 2011
I had a crazy morning losing our transmission. Nothing happened that I'm aware of...no funny noises, collisions or fast shifts or with the throttle above idle. We came in the channel, I rounded the turn and coasted a bit in neutral. After that it wouldn't engage either direction. The cable appears intact. Nothing engages if shifted by hand at the drive. I don't think the prop is fouled but will dive on it after the weather settles. It has clean oil and the appropriate amount.

I know this transmission is a type of servo clutch design but does the boat need to be hauled to work on the saildrive leg? I'm thinking it does but hope not.

Anyone out there had to try and decipher this issue? If so suggestions on where to start looking?

SC

Sep 6, 2011
We have solved the mystery. We lost the prop. Best I can figure we hit some debris in getting in quickly to avoid a big storm. Now to figure out the parts. Fun fun.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Strange... Don't u have a saildrive? Did the prop just spin off or was there damage to the drive?

Sep 6, 2011
Strange... Don't u have a saildrive? Did the prop just spin off or was there damage to the drive?
I'm not sure. We will have to lift out to see. I can't see how it spun off but I'm going it's that simple. It sheered the locking nut that had some sort of Loctite type substance and a cotter pin.

It's so muddy in the water we are working by feel. Not even sure we kept the anode which is separately secured.
SC

Sep 6, 2011
I'm open to suggestions for fixed props for the md17c110s saildrive combo if anyone has one. I'd like a max prop but just don't want to write that check right now so would prefer a fixed or folder.
SC

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I should be able to get the fixed three blade specs...May take me some looking. How soon needed?

Sep 6, 2011
I should be able to get the fixed three blade specs...May take me some looking. How soon needed?
Hi Mark,the biggest challenge I have is size and pitch. Our old one wasn't stamped so I only have guesses as to its details. I never got around to getting it to a prop shop. Oh well. Our survey estimated 14x8. We've decided to replace with another fixed and try and decide of feathering and folding later keeping the fixed as a spare. The fixed definitely slows us down a bit but I don't want to make a bad $2-4k decision rushing through it. I'm known for my overthinking ability. :) SC

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I lost the propeller off my Yanmar SD31 saildrive in December as we were just getting underway for a post-Christmas trip to Catalina Island. I had to "puch it" in reverse when backing out of the slip and that's when it flew off and I lost thrust. Sheared the retaining bolt; M8 x 80 316 stainless cap head machine screw [Specs call for M8 x 75].

The new fun started getting the boat into the yard under sail (w/o paying for a tow)! Next, of course, I had to extract the bolt from the spline shaft using a cordless (battery-powered) drill motor. That's b/c my antiquated AC drill motor had no reverse. Why did I need reverse? So I could drill in with a "left-hand" bit. As you finally dig into the meat of the bolt, the counter-clockwise turning of the bit digging in can help back-out the bolt at the same time; which it did on my second bit (first one broke). Of course, where does one find such a bit of the correct size?--that's about a day of searching the local hardware stores, and beyond. The cordless drill barely has the endurance for the job as it must penetrate the hard SS sheath of the bolt. Load the new ($250) two-blade Volvo propeller on to the spline; insert new retaining bolt with red loctite, tighten, and you're done! Altogether, about a $500 job including the haul out:).

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Found an old survey which indicates 16X12 LH. Wonder if that makes sense since the boat backs to stud...

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
On my SD31 the prop is two-blade LH 16 x 13 aluminum; so, yeah; when backing the torque is against the bolt cap head causing the failure if the bolt does not spin out first. Obviously, one should replace the retaining bolt every few (5) years along with the aluminum propeller. Mine was overdue---so that's what you get!!

Sep 6, 2011
Well I made a choice and ordered a 15x13 LH (I think that's correct we back to stbd). It is a VP 3 blade as we had before. I pulled it off a list compatible for that drive. I have no idea what happened be it hit something, line or failure but I was glad it was the prop and not the cone clutch. It will be about a $500 fix all told. I don't think it spun off since we lost it in forward after quite a busy season. Hopefully I'll see the old prop again as there are several divers hoping to claim the beer bounty I placed on its' return. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone! I hope to be back underway on Monday. SC

Jtoben

Jan 14, 2011
S2 11.0a Holland, MI
Wow, I just read this thread. Wish I had read it earlier. We have a fixed prop from the Saildrive 110 from our 11.0a. We replaced it with a Max prop in 2001 and have had the prop wrapped in bubble wrap since. Would surely have considered selling it to you or at least getting the specs.....if it happens to anyone else, let us know.

Sep 6, 2011
Wow, I just read this thread. Wish I had read it earlier. We have a fixed prop from the Saildrive 110 from our 11.0a. We replaced it with a Max prop in 2001 and have had the prop wrapped in bubble wrap since. Would surely have considered selling it to you or at least getting the specs.....if it happens to anyone else, let us know.
I'd appreciate any specs you can give. The parts aren't in yet and I'd love to know that I made a mistake before I installed these.

Thanks!
SC

Jtoben

Jan 14, 2011
S2 11.0a Holland, MI
Mark, we LOVE the Max Prop. Would spend that hard earned money again if it fell off and sank! Backing straight is a dream, and lots of reverse thrust. Highly recommend!

Jtoben

Jan 14, 2011
S2 11.0a Holland, MI
I'd appreciate any specs you can give. The parts aren't in yet and I'd love to know that I made a mistake before I installed these. Thanks! SC
I don't have any specs on the fixed prop, just what was in the Saildrive manual. If I can get it to a prop shop in the next week or so, perhaps they can tell me. I'll see what I can do.

Sep 6, 2011
I don't have any specs on the fixed prop, just what was in the Saildrive manual. If I can get it to a prop shop in the next week or so, perhaps they can tell me. I'll see what I can do.
It isn't urgent but I'd be interested if you can find out. Sometimes they are stamped with size/pitch or just a part number. I'm happy to look up the part if it's there. I think I went a bit overboard because I'm doing 3.5 kts at idle speed which is too fast for me. My old one was too fast at ½ a knot slower. I don't like using the transmission so much to slow down.
SC