Saildrive Gasket Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
After 11 years I had the sail drive gasket replaced on our Bavaria 40 Ocean. I thought I'd post a couple pics. The gasket was in pretty good shape but I did notice some what looks like dry rot starting to form on the water side of the gasket. I feel a lot better with a new gasket on.

Attachments

Oct 1, 2008
Bavaria 36 Cruiser Nanaimo, BC
NJsail.
So this is an 11 year old seal and the first replacement for your boat? I thought the recommended 7 years was probably "overkill", however, I wonder what insurance would say if you had experienced a loss? Don't know, but is something I am going to check into.

Tom

cbsura

Jun 7, 2004
Bavaria 32 Branford, CT
Thanks for sharing the pictures. Did you replace it yourself or have the yard do it? I'm coming up on the 7 year mark...

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
I had the yard change the seal. It was more than I wanted to tackle this spring but I didn't want to wait another season even though the seal looked perfectly fine. If you are going to over engineer any part if a boat this is certainly a good area to do so. In order to replace the seal you need to pick the engine up and move it toward the cabin several inches to make enough room to lift out the sail leg so the transmission box clears the engine. The yard did a great job as they always do. I feel much better with a new seal on.

Status
Not open for further replies.