saildrive bottom paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
It's that time of year. I'm new to saildrives but have been reading as much as I can. Is there a list of bottom paints I can safely use for the saildrive leg and prop? It's my first year with this boat and I really want to get the paint right. Can I use the standard Micron CSC ablative paint on the rest of the hull as long as it doesn't touch the saildrive?

Thanks,
njsail

robgs

May 24, 2004
Bavaria Vision 40 Rock Hall MD
Any bottom paint of your choice is fine on the hull as long as it's not used on the
saildrive. I have used Micron CSC on another boat but prefer Pettit Ultima SR.
You must use an aluminum compatible paint on the saildrive. I use Trilux from
Interlux although there are other brands.

Rob s/v Nanaimo

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
use a zinc based paint on the saildrive--was recommended to me when had one..but mine was already swiss cheese appearing--that is to be avoided by using the zinc based paint.....

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2008
Bavaria 36 Cruiser Nanaimo, BC
Trilux by Interlux

First use a primer, I think it is called Intercon. Cover well, then paint with Trilux (at least 2 coats). I sand lightly before, and between coats. I have been using this for the past 5 years with good results. By the way, DO NOT PAINT THE ZINC. (You probably know that, but in case...) I use Petit Horizons ablative for a bottom paint, and it has worked very well for me, here in the Pacific Northwest. Do not paint the saildrive with any copper based bottom paint (such as Horizons) or there will be problems.
Good luck,
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.