Saildrive 280 impeller

May 8, 2014
Abbott 33 Toronto
Hi all,

I'm not an S2 owner but I gather at least a few of you have replaced previous OMC Saildrive or Volvo MB2 50S engines with the Saildrive 280 or Saildrive 330 kits.

I have an Abbott 33 with a Saildrive 280 that was installed in 2006. I am looking for replacement anodes and impeller and have been having trouble with both. If anyone has any information that would help me track down either I would be very grateful. Thanks!

James Roscoe
Survival

May 8, 2014
Abbott 33 Toronto
Hi BobM,

I know they list both anodes. What they told me when I phoned was that they were no longer a dealer and only had the zincs in stock. I was able to order a supposedly-matching Mg upper anode from a shop just down the road from me. I'm hopeful it will fit when I try it out.

I managed to use the internet wayback machine to find the old saildrive.se site from 2005 where it talked about the engine being a modification of the common Honda BF9.9D/BF15D outboard. For anyone looking for information, the pump rebuild kit is part #06193-ZW9-A32 from Honda Marine.

I was also able (with some help) to locate just the impellers: http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...&gd_poid=110898&gd_row=9&session_id=658842504

James

johnpa

Feb 16, 2020
Borresen BB10 San Diego
I also have a saildrive 280. I am looking for the correct impeller. I see you referenced a kit above is for the BF9.9 version D from what I researched. I do not have the SN of mine but I have a owners manual that says BF9.9A I think its from 2000 or 2001 from the previous owner. I did find a SN from another persons boat which is a BABS then the number but when I go to Honda it calls out two different impellers. I guess I could buy both
19210-ZV4-013IMPELLER, PUMP
19210-ZV4-651IMPELLER, PUMP

Does anyone know if the lower unit can be removed in the water or will this require hual-out?

This unit was purchased from Arne Jonsson boatbuilders in Alameda CA which I guess is closed now I cant find it on the web
Thanks in advanced

Apr 29, 2010
S2 8.0B Toledo, OH
Looks that way. Hopefully everything fits once I have it in hand. Thanks for the replies!

James
I know the internal anode is the standard Honda Mg anode for this outboard, but what about the external anode that mounts to the aft of the gearbox ? Ours is going on 20+ years old now and really could use to be replaced ! I've looked at all sorts of anode catalogues on-line and haven't seen anything like this particular anode yet (except on the Canadian Marine Outfitters site, cited above).

Apr 29, 2010
S2 8.0B Toledo, OH
I also have a saildrive 280. I am looking for the correct impeller. I see you referenced a kit above is for the BF9.9 version D from what I researched. I do not have the SN of mine but I have a owners manual that says BF9.9A I think its from 2000 or 2001 from the previous owner. I did find a SN from another persons boat which is a BABS then the number but when I go to Honda it calls out two different impellers. I guess I could buy both
19210-ZV4-013IMPELLER, PUMP

19210-ZV4-651IMPELLER, PUMP

Does anyone know if the lower unit can be removed in the water or will this require hual-out?

This unit was purchased from Arne Jonsson boatbuilders in Alameda CA which I guess is closed now I cant find it on the web
Thanks in advanced
We have the same saildrive fitted in our '80 8.0B, installed by the previous owner. The serial number should be stamped on a metal plate on the starboard side of the engine frame (ours is BABL-120xxxx from 1997). The impeller is in the lower unit/gearbox, which (on our boat) needs to be dropped by (1) removing the gear linkage from the engine frame, (2) removing the four bolts holding the gearbox to the extension case, and (3) backing out the threaded gear linkage from the coupler by turning the linkage CCW at the engine (the hardest part of the job, IMHO). We used part 19210-ZV4-651 when we changed the impeller a few years back. While you're in there, change the anode (part 41106-ZV4-650).