Sailboat show... which one?

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
My wife and I are planning on attending the Annapolis Boat show next year. The October one is really close to our anniversary and the thought was it would make a nice trip for us.

But then I saw that there is a spring Sailboat show there.

We are curious thoughts on the better one to attend.

our goal for the show is;
1. to hopefully see as many monohulls in the 35-41' range (beneteau and island packet specifically but definitely want to see as many as possible)
2. to get away and be surrounded by sailing/water stuff.

while we may attend a class/lecture that is not a reason for the trip.

Also we are not sold on Annapolis... it just seems to be the biggest best chance to see more boats, we are open to other suggestions. (as well as other things to see/do at the shows.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
My wife and I are planning on attending the Annapolis Boat show next year. The October one is really close to our anniversary and the thought was it would make a nice trip for us.

But then I saw that there is a spring Sailboat show there.

We are curious thoughts on the better one to attend.

our goal for the show is;
1. to hopefully see as many monohulls in the 35-41' range (beneteau and island packet specifically but definitely want to see as many as possible)
2. to get away and be surrounded by sailing/water stuff.

while we may attend a class/lecture that is not a reason for the trip.

Also we are not sold on Annapolis... it just seems to be the biggest best chance to see more boats, we are open to other suggestions. (as well as other things to see/do at the shows.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Go in October, spring is a small show, no comparison.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
October. There will be more threads about it starting around Labor Day. The Benny dealer, AYS, is a mile away.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Allowishish I attended. The 2018 October show. A great experience. Get reservations for your place to stay early as the show dates may fall on a home game weekend, The Academy folk love there football and they travel in from all over.

We found a great and fair priced AirB&B. Baltimore is a good airport to use.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
There is no comparison between the fall show and the Spring show. Also make your reservations now or as soon as you decide. The hotels fill up fast.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
@Allowishish I attended. The 2018 October show. A great experience. Get reservations for your place to stay early as the show dates may fall on a home game weekend, The Academy folk love there football and they travel in from all over.

We found a great and fair priced AirB&B. Baltimore is a good airport to use.
How faw away from the show did you stay. We're looking at going next year. Can you get close enough to walk or too expensive and you stay further out and drive in or better to taxi / Uber. We'll be driving down so will have a car. Is there parking close enough to the area.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Is there parking close enough to the area.
We’ve always been able to park in Eastport on the street. It’s less than a 10 minute walk from there. There are other lots a bit closer for usually about $20, or park at the Navy stadium and have a short ride in a school bus (don’t remember if there’s a cost to that).

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Local parking during the show is very rough if not impossible. Parking at Navy Stadium and taking the shuttle is the best bet. The cost is 10.00 for both. The better but pricier option is getting a room withing walking distance of the show. If you want to do that you should look into that now. There is a Marriott there that is right in the middle of it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The AirB&B we used was north across the river. About 10 minutes from Annapolis. Early search showed several in town options but as we were making our plans they kept disappearing. So an early decision is well advised.

We rented a car and chose to park in the downtown lot in the morning. Had no problem getting a parking space. Suspect it was about $20 for the day, I'll go back and check my accounts. It was maybe 3 blocks to the east from the show.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
The October show is fantastic and as mentioned, much larger. A fun thing to do. I park the rental car at a cheaper hotel not so close to downtown Annapolis and call an Uber to come pick us up and when we are ready to return to the hotel, we Uber back. No worries about walking long distances to your car, if and when you find a parking place and you can have some fun at dinner and party some without worrying about driving over the limit, if you like that sort of thing. The restaurants in Annapolis are many and very good, from inexpensive to gourmet - whatever your budget allows. Lots to do at the show and outside the show. I was there this last 2019 show and have been to nearly every show since the 1070's when it began. I have missed some, but not many. It is well worth it - even if you are not in the market for a boat. There are lots of booths with products that you can learn about or see the latest and greatest items for your boat that you may otherwise not know that exist.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Funny story … as we were driving to the show on Friday morning this year, @Ward H kept asking @lehighsail and I "where should I park?" Crickets … then "where should I turn in to Annapolis?" Crickets again … he got impatient and simply put a destination marker on his GPS right in the center of town near the docks. We happened to drive to that spot and found a parking space on the street in virtually that exact location! It was maybe 3 blocks from the entrance at 10:00 when the lines into the show were filling up. I looked at the street signs and told him they said "2 hour parking". Ward said "I don't think so during the show". He was right. Parking No Problemo!

I don't know who goes to the Spring show, but the Fall show is a spectacle! If you are looking for something different, though, the Newport, R.I. show is in September and I thought it was a great show to go to as well. In fact I kind of prefer that location. It is more scenic and there are some pretty cool things to do around Newport. I'd say the bar and restaurant scene is very similar. It is definitely pricier in Newport but there are reasonable options just outside of the main center for overnight visits.

It appears next year is their 50th anniversary … I think we will just have to go! Newport International Boat Show Offical Site – Newport, Rhode Island

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I was there this last 2019 show and have been to nearly every show since the 1070's when it began.
Wow! You've been going to the show for almost 950 years! You must be a really old dude! :cool:

@Ward H & I bought the tie-dyed shirt commemorating the 50th anniversary (1969). It's the first tie-dye shirt I have ever owned! They were pretty clever … it is fashioned after the Woodstock dove, except it features a seagull!

Last edited: