Sailboat Salvage Yards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 12, 2007
Ericson 25 Oshkosh, WI
I was wondering if anybody knew of a place/site that is a "sailboat junkyard". I have searched the net and it just doesnt seem like an easy adventure. I am in need of a set of spreaders and mounts for my boat. I have found after-market manufacturers, but money is extremely tight right now. Any help or leads will be extremely appreciated. And by chance if anyone has some laying around and are willing to part with, that would be great too.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
What happened to yours Rob? It could be that used ones are prone to the same problem that is requiing you to replace.

Minney's is the only one that comes to mind.

Jan 11, 2007
Columbia 28 Sarasota
There is a place in Largo FL called Dons Salvage. It is strictly a walk thru place. They have everything, but they do not have an online presence.

TimCup

Jan 30, 2008
Catalina 22 St. Pete
Ross in Tampa, that's an understatement!

Don's doesn't even use computers for their business!!

Most of their stuff is from powerboats, but they do have a lot of stainless items. They even put a few of them on shelves, but mostly, you walk thru the weeds and hope you find something you need. I'm usually excited to go there, and leave disappointed...

cup

Mar 22, 2004
Hunter 30 Vero Beach
Hi Rob,
What kind of boat do you have, and what shape, length, etc. are the spreaders there is a place down here that might have something.
What's Winnebago looking like? are the boats going in yet?

hutera

Mar 12, 2006
Macgregor 25 lake calhoun
I was wondering if anybody knew of a place/site that is a "sailboat junkyard". I have searched the net and it just doesnt seem like an easy adventure. I am in need of a set of spreaders and mounts for my boat. I have found after-market manufacturers, but money is extremely tight right now. Any help or leads will be extremely appreciated. And by chance if anyone has some laying around and are willing to part with, that would be great too.
Have you tried contacting Macgregor? I purchased replacement spreaders for my boat around 20.00 each.

-Steve

Benny

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 320 Tampa, FL
A while back we were looking for a mast for our Starwind 223 and Don had one but our insurance company decided they would pay for a new one which was delivered to our rigger in Miami. Don is now what Sailor Man in Ft. Lauderdale used to be. They have sections that are for power boats but plenty of stuff for sailboats; there is a lot of junk and they may price it as Gold but you offer what you think its worth and usually they will say "Well, business has been slow, OK." Still love Sailorman but now they sell a lot of new knockoff parts. In such stuff as spreaders I would concur that you better buy new as used ones may have the same problems you are trying to correct. I remeber i was once looking for a transmission for a 1975 BMW 2002 and could not locate one with less than 150,000 miles on it. I then realized it was best I rebuild the one I had as I would have to rebuild whatever I found. Certain things you want to go new if they are avilable. Pay now or pay latter.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
If MacGregor doesn't have the pieces you need, the guys who made the mast might... If you ask MacGregor, they might be able to tell you who made the spar, since they only order them, not make them themselves IIRC.

S

S/V Anna Lynn

Marine Salvage

To find some spreaders, call Billy at donsmarinesalvage.com, the are on the web, he most likely has what you need

Status
Not open for further replies.