Sailboat lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Severin

Well, as you will understand I'm new to the sailing and trying to learn that is why my questions may sound silly. Thinking about getting a sailboat, but want to know some basics first. I got few books for the beginners, but could not find an answer on several different questions and decided to give it a try here. First I'm trying to get an idea if I should consider a used boat (and if so how old) or new. So here is the first one. What is lifetime expectancy on the sailboat in general and what factors effecting it? I guess you can maintain it forever, but at some point maintenance takes more time than usage and gets way too expensive. So what is an average time to that point, what is the main factor/s that make it happened? I'm taking about cruiser between 32 and 40 feet. Initially thinking about using it here on Great Lakes (Lake Michigan as a start), but in the future would love to do long passes like across Atlantic to Europe and so on, but that is at least about 10 years from now. So is it reasonable to consider let say 40-foot cruiser right away looking that far ahead, or it's better to go with lets say 32' and maybe switch it later? I realize such things like let say after long use and/or bad maintenance engine may need some serious repair or replacement, but what else? Is there some book that can give me answers on such questions? My e-mail address is <chayka@earthlink.net> and I'll be glad to receive direct e-mail or to find a reply here. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks a lot, Severin.

B

Bob Robeson

New or old

boats are an extremly personal item. There are reasons to buy new or used. A well maintained boat form the '70 or '80 can be just as good as a boat from the '90's,, at least in condition and reliablitiy. Some of the differences will be in the man systems from , Engine, Plumping, Electrical, rigging, sails, and overall condition. I have3 aways bought a used boat, at the right price and then refitted it to my liking. To buy a boat now for a trip 10 years out may not be that far off, as you might need that long to fit it out and gain the experiance you will need. But you need sailing expereance and the larger the boat the hard it is to handle. Heaver sails, harder to dock, bigger more costly everything. Join a sailing club or get a smaller boat sail it for a year of 2 and move up. Have fun and good lock which ever way you go. Bob C-36

G

gary

first sail boat

Five years ago I went from a 28 power to a new catalina 400 for my first sail boat. It has taken untill this year to get it all most the way I want it. I wanted to buy only one sail boat and not be trading up all the time. If I had it to do again I would look for a good used boat of the size I plan to use for the next 10 years and buy it. Then make what ever changes I need to it.

C

Craig Cody

Almost forever

I started sailing years ago, then was away from it for a while. I have bought three used boats in the past six years. A 24ft San Juan (lotsa fun), then a 1978 Catalina 30 when I decided to live aboard, and now a 1985 Catalina 36. I will probably stick with the 36 for a while. I really like her, she sails beautifully and has just enough room for me to live comfortably aboard. I am re-doing systems to my specifications, replacing old equipment with the very latest technology. As far as the structure of the boat goes, the materials don't seem to be degrading and she is totally sound in the opinion of the surveyor. It would be just plain foolishness to buy any used boat without a competent survey. Proper maintenance should make the boat last almost forever, and when she is starting to look bad cosmetically there are ways of making things almost new again. Here in Santa Barbara, there is a Cal 48 (1964 I think) that has just undergone a restoration and is breathtaking. As I move up, I will buy older boats that are in good, sound basic condition and upgrade them mechanically and cosmetically to my own specs.

C

Chris Bloor

New vs. Used

Severin, when Bob & I decided we wanted to start sailing, we took a learn-to-sail class from the Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources' Watercraft Div. The Watercraft instructor happened to be a sailor and a member of the sailing club to which we now belong. We began participating in the Wednesday night beercan races as "ballast" but are now sought-after crew members. We purchased a 1988 Beneteau First 235 (wonderful racer/cruiser! I miss her!) and had her for two years. She was much more of a boat for the money than we could have purchased new. The other skippers we crewed for and sailing on our own small boat were the best teachers we could have asked for. I highly recommend finding an area racing association and offer to crew. Best learning experience you'll ever have! Three years ago, bought a 2-bedroom condo that floats -- a 1993 Catalina 42 -- because it was in excellent shape and gave us the space we needed at a price we could afford. We also had a survey done on her (as we have on any boat we've considered purchasing). This is not the boat we'll take ocean cruising when we go, but it will be an excellent coaastal cruiser as we practice! My parents also have a 1980 (I think) Irwin 38 they bought used about 15 years ago and take it to the Bahamas every year. As an older boat, there is certainly maintenance involved, but there is more damage from the salt water in the Florida atmosphere than from old age, something you and we don't have to worry about on the Great Lakes. Anyway, I'll stop rambling. Welcome to sailing. Learning everything you can, in any way you can, have a survey done on any used boat you're thinking about purchasing, and have a great time! Happy Sailing! Chris Bloor & Bob Sheppard s/v Great Escape III C-42 #372

T

ToyBox

The 27/270 is a great intro

The Catalina 27/270 is a great stater boat. It doesn't give you the close to the water understading and reading of wind adn current that lightnings and laser do, but you learn how to sail a bigger boat. The basic of a little boat (like the lasers) are very different from anything like a C38. But the C27 can introduce you to the physics of a larger boat. The 27 and 42 will be drastically diffent while docking, but the inland sailing will be similar, depending on rigging. Chris D

Status
Not open for further replies.