Sail & Rigging Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rich Lemieux

The following is a series of questions I have on sails & rigging on a standard rig 1997 Catalina 36 MKII. We got the boat in the fall and have not had much time to use it up to now. Over the winter I came up with a number of changes I plan on doing this year. I have request it the same information from the factory but what I got back was somewhat confusing. I have also ask the C-36 Tech Editor for his thoughts. Answers to any or all my questions will be greatly appreciated. How do you rig a second single reef line on the main? There is not space at the base of the mast to add a new turning block for the reef line. How did you deal with this problem? How did you run the line aft to the cockpit? I am setting up the boat for a Asymmetrical Spinnaker. How do you rig the Spinnaker halyard? There is not space at the base of the mast to add a new turning block for the line. How did you deal with this problem? How did you run the halyard aft to the cockpit? Where should the sheet blocks go for an Asymmetrical Spinnaker? On a Symmetrical Spinnaker the sheet blocks would go as far back on the boat as possible. Is it the same on a Asymmetrical Spinnaker or do you run the lines to the car on the outside jib track? What did you do with the control lines for the spinnaker sock? Did you run them back to the cockpit? What do you do with the sail before and after use? Do you have it in a bag on deck ? This winter I added a form luff & reefing panels to our 150% genoa. This will allow us to reef the jib to about a 130%. If we need to reef more, I would like to added a 110% jib to the boat. Do I need to add a new jib track forward & inside of the current tracks? The class racing rules seem to imply that it would be needed. What track and car position do you run your jib sheets for different size sails? (Storm Jib, 110%, 130%, 150%) A number of C-36 tech notes said that the backstay on the C-36 is too long from the factory. Is this true? I would like to add a backstay adjuster to the boat. Has this been done? The C36 MKII has a spit backstay with a walkthru type design.

P

Peter Larson

Asym Spinnaker Set-up

I am also in the midst of setting up my C36 MkII for an Asym. Here's where I'm headed: the tack line is lead to a block which is snapped onto the bail on the anchor bow roller, then aft through stanchion mounted rollers on the starboard side (smilar to what is mounted on the port side for the roller furler). The sheets will be led through stand-up blocks on a car at the aft end of the outside track. I'm adding a second set of footblocks on top of the existing ones, to fairlead the sheets to the primary winches. I ordered footblocks from Garhaur - they have an integral clutch or cleat. I haven't seen them yet, I'll let you know when I do. I will also have snatch blocks - mounted to the aft cleats - standing by to use on the sheets if it appears they need to be led further aft. The sail lives in it's sock under the V-berth. I tie off the control lines at the mast. Garhauer makes a great set of movable genoa cars which I've installed - reviewed in Practical Sailor last year.

R

Rich Lemieux

Spinnaker Halyard

Hi Peter... Thanks for the information. What will be doing for the halyard? Will you use the 2nd jib halyard or add a spinnaker halyard to the top of the mast? Rich

P

Peter Larson

Halyard

When I bought the boat (new), the halyard and block was already in place. There should be a place to mount a block already on the top of the mast.

M

Mark- UK Sailmakers

sail setup

Rich, your mast should have the sheaves in place at the mast head for extra halyards. You may need to add some deck hardware, turning blocks etc. but it's not a tough job. genoa lead position will be dictated by the sail shape (tell tales never lie) It's also quite easy to add a backstay adjuster to your rig, and it's not too expensive either. Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.