Sail Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2004
- - Dallas, Tx
What should I expect to pay to have a main sail repaired. it has two main seams that have come apart?

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
I'm sure it varies a bit depending on where you live, but here in central NJ, we paid $350.00 to have the jib resewn with new sunbrella fabric. I'd ask around in your area to see who has the best prices AND who does the best work! Jim The Merry Bee

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Time for a new sail?

Once the stitching begins to 'go' what the sail is really telling you is that UV has destroyed it, so you can bet that the cloth is also affected. $50-60/hour is not unreasonable to restitch a sail. If youre on a real constrained budget and the sail is small, you can do the repair yourself by 'glueing' the seams back together (if you have a keen 'eye') by using ***FLEXIBLE*** 3M 5200 .... a 'special' grade of 5200 adhesive for sailmakers - the repair will be stronger than the original stitching. Sailrite - www.sailrite.com carries it. Dont make a 'mess' as a 5200 repair is 'permanent'/forever. Best to consider a new sail once the stitching goes ... as its telling you something.

W

Warren M.

As others have said, a lot depends on the what you think the overall condition of your sail is. Any local loft could, or should, be able to give you and estimate to restitch a sail. If the cloth itself is in relatively good condition, you may want to contact Sailcare (see below) and see what they say. They can both repair and recondition your sail, but that would only make sense if the overall condition of the sail is good and you think it would give a lot more years of service. Phone there is 1-800-433-7245.

Status
Not open for further replies.