Sail question

Rickth

Feb 24, 2022
Easterly 30 Cocoa
Bought a boat couple months back and looking through sails that came with it and not sure what this would be used for.
20220224_184900.jpg

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Might be a storm sail. Or possibly sail used for when at anchor to keep boat pointed into the wind. Sometimes I unroll my jib about 5% and this keeps boat pointed into the wind. By keeping the boat into the wind allows better air circulation thru the cabin.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It is a riding sail from SailRite. Likely home sewn. There are two sizes.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I unroll my jib about 5% and this keeps boat pointed into the wind.
I'm confused, but then again that's seems to be my default setting. Just ask anyone. Anyway, how does having a bit of jib open keep the bow into the wind? That would be like putting the tail of a wind vane in the front.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Color me confused too. I would think rolling out a bit of jib would make the boat sailing around its anchor worse. If I ever tried that I don't remember the results. The riding sail wasn't very effective on the H356. It didn't stop the range of turning but it did dampen the violence. The only thing that damped the yawing was to be rafted up to another boat.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
The riding sail wasn't very effective on the H356. It didn't stop the range of turning but it did dampen the violence. The only thing that damped the yawing was to be rafted up to another boat.
The picture I posted was my first attempt at deploying the riding sail, and, as you said, it helped but didn't completely stop the back and forth sailing at the mooring. Since then, I have lowered the riding sail, moving it aft a little, which helped, but what seemed to work best was to leave a nice belly in the riding sail. As the sail passed through the eye of the wind, it would fill the belly and quickly slow the sideward motion of the boat. What has worked best on my boat to limit mooring sailing was to move the snubbing bridle from the outside of the bow to run up through the bow roller and then inside to the bow cleats.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
maybe 5% might be a bit more than then what I actually deploy, however it’s a little bit less then Tom’s picture. Anyway having the small amount of the jib out and the sheets equally tight on both sides so that the jib is centered to the boat, the boat stay’s pointed directly into the wind. Now I would not deploy this in 15-35 knots of wind, however in a light breeze this works well.
My Boat has a fairly high freeboard and wide transom along with a Bimini that gets effected by light wind at anchor and by deploying a small section of the jib helps to keep my boat pointed into the wind.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
To slow/stop yawing at anchor we drag a bucket or two off the transom. Offsetting the rudder to one side or the other can also help.