Sail plan for Destin/ FWB Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steven Gautney

I'll be sailing in the Destin/ Fort Walton Beach Florida area in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for suggestions on a sail plan. I'll probably spend most time on the bay. What are the sailing points of interest? I am afraid me and crew will find sailing around in the bay boring after a couple of days, (I really need to show my better half the value of the time I spend sailing). What are suggested water destinations/ resturants, etc?

J

Jack Laird

Ah Yes

Destin harbor is an intresting place to stop and try one of the many resturants that even have a place to tie up. Up Boggy Bayou about a couple of miles is another good resturant ( Place to tie up too ). Blue Water Marine is an excellent marina to spend a day or so and will loan a car for shopping, etc.

J

Jon Bastien

Dock o' the Bay

Steve, I used to live in that area (stationed at Eglin) and one of my favorite stops is a little place called "Dock o' the Bay". It's essentially an open-air tiki bar on the beach behind a hotel- The atmosphere is low-budget blue collar working stiff; The band (Alibi) plays 60's and 70's rock and roll, and the drinks are relatively cheap. There's a crawfish boil every Sunday; Otherwise, the menu consists of one item- A "grill it yourself out back" pound of steak with a roll and a baked potato. That steak is a good cut, and it's been marinating in a cooler behind the bar since about 11:00 that morning, and is quite tasty... To find it, follow the Intracoastal to the southwest corner of Choctawhatchee Bay and into Santa Rosa Sound; It's the first dock on the left. Don't stray out of the channel, it gets really shallow VERY quickly. Dock on the east side of the pier, or drag your anchor up to the beach (That side of the pier is a state park). It's safe to turn out of the channel just before you're abeam to the end of the pier. No one will bother you for one night's dockage on that side, but marina amenilities are scarce unless you actually pay (find?) the dockmaster. If you decide to stop there, tell Jim Edwards (The guitar player in the band) that I said hello. --Jon Bastien H23 '2 Sheets to the Wind' H25 'Adagio'

Status
Not open for further replies.