Sail leach repair

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I have a genoa with a tear on the leach from contact with a spreader. This spot seems to have been repaired a couple times before by the previous owner. You can see the original patch here, the obvious blue rectangle but also a part of the sail cloth was patched. You can see it protruding down under the blue rectangle. This all seems to be professionally done. The more recent patch looks like the PO just glued it back together with what could be epoxy. It is stiff and not really appropriate for sail repair. I'll likely just cut out this area.
I have a friend with a SailRite machine that has repaired several sails so I can have this done very cost effectively and quickly. What material would be best for patching the leach of this sail and reinforcing it considering it will be in contact with the spreaders? I'm sure it's obvious but just in case it isn't, the sail cloth is Dacron.

20191014_173044.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The expert on this will be @DrJudyB

My amateur response would be clean up the area and remove the hardened gunk. Remove the Sunbrella patch too. If things aren't too bad under the patch there are sail repair tapes. Put tape on both sides and stitch around the edges. Replace the Sunbrella with new Sunbrella in the area of the patch. For the other side of the patch, get a piece of self-adhesive sail cloth. This comes in larger pieces that can be used for spreader patches.

In the future, when it starts to wear, replace the spreader patches before they tear. Also you might try these on the shrouds.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
As dlochner has already suggested. The repair would be pretty straight forward and I would use the same Sumbrella fabric.
The sail has been damaged at least twice, so my question is , Is it too big?
As a precaution in the future you could look at unfurling it only till it clears the spreader.

gary

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
It may be too big. I haven't used it yet and the previous owner used the smaller headsail mostly. I will try it out and see next summer.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I’d suggest a kevlar laminate sailcloth over the patch. Tougher than anything else I know of, for that rip-prone spot. You might be able to beg a free remnant from a local sail loft.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I've seen people sew small pieces of soft leather on wear points ... I guess it is a similar strategy to what @Captain Larry-DH recommends. Kevlar would have the advantage of not needing to be oiled from time to time.

sgiarc

Feb 12, 2019
beneteau 461 port colborne
Don't forget to put some kind of boots on your spreaders for prevention

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
I do have vinyl boots over the spreader ends. I couldn't see anything the sail would tear on but I will have a closer look before putting the mast up in the spring. Those chafe protectors look like they would help.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
My advice for repairing a dacron sail is this

Remove the sunbrella with the stiff glue. Inspect for damaged dacron. Patch as as needed with similar weight dacron on both sides. Used double sided sticky acrylic based seam tape to baste in place. Stitch the patch in place.

For details see
See

For the cover,
Replace the sunbrella with a piece that is the same width as the rest of the cover. Heat seal the edges of the patch. Baste in place with sticky tape and stitch.

Figure out what’s ripping the sail at the spreader and fix the problem by re wiring, removing cotter pins, taping, using a boot, etc.

If you want, install some sacrificial patches on both side of the leech. Clean the sail first. Use insignia Dacron with adhesive backing. The adhesive on insignia cloth is formulated to adhere to clean dacron well. Stitch the first layer if needed where it over lays the Sunbrella. Stick the second layer on without stitching. Inspect and Replace the top layer as needed, perhaps annually.

Sunbrella isn’t very abrasion or tear resistant, but most folks don’t need sacrificial wear patches on their Genoas. But if you need them because your technique does, then by all means, install them.

Here’s a link on how to place them spreader patches on a Genoa and install them

Don’t use epoxy to patch sails in an emergency. You can use 3m 5200 to glue a patch on if you cant install a patch properly. It’s flexible and will last for months. Mask/tape off the edge of the damaged area to keep the 5200 from being smeared everywhere. It can really make a mess, but it works well in a pinch.

Judy B
Ps. Thanks @dlochner for the heads up.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Thanks Judy, the video is very helpful but also the idea to double up the spreader patch over the Sunbrella so the outer one is sacrificial. That sounds like the way to go.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Replace the sunbrella with a piece that is the same width as the rest of the cover. Heat seal the edges of the patch.
One step further. If you're going to be using Sunbrella in this kind of environment, understand that the stuff is no good, at all, in the chafe department, and the edges need to be sealed. If you cut it with scissors, it will fray. Here's the coolest tool for the job, and it works great!

103800.png

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
The hotknife that @Meriachee suggested is a great tool, but it's $140.00, which is a lot to spend for small projects like repairs. I use something very similar to cut large pattern pieces of acrylic, dacron, etc.

But for home use on small project, a "hot knife tip" will convert a soldering iron into a hot cutter, for less than $10. It's not as good as a proper hot knife for $140, but it does small jobs well done . Great for cutting webbing, small ropes, and small pieces of acrylic/sunbrella.

Here's Sailrite's hot tip for a soldering gun, very nice, for $14.00 - not $140.00!
Sailrite - Fabric, Canvas, and Sewing Machines Since 1969.

I have a butane one, similar to this one, that I keep in my tool bag for use when there's no AC electric available. It's $30 and it's tiny.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
But for home use on small project, a "hot knife tip" will convert a soldering iron into a hot cutter, for less than $10. It's not as good as a proper hot knife for $140, but it does small jobs well done . Great for cutting webbing, small ropes, and small pieces of acrylic/sunbrella.
I have one of those and it works well. It does take a few minutes to reach operating temperature.

If you have a soldering gun (not an iron) rope cutting tips are only $10. These work well for rope, webbing and sealing the edge of already cut material.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The hotknife that @Meriachee suggested is a great tool, but it's $140.00, which is a lot to spend for small projects like repairs. I use something very similar to cut large pattern pieces of acrylic, dacron, etc.
There are certainly cheaper alternatives, the point is to get the edge of the Sunbrella sealed up, before it unravels, 'cuz it will. I like this Edge thing, it does way more than cut Sunbrella. Not a bad investment. Then again, we are tool junkies. :)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I have what is probably the smallest Weller pistol grip soldering gun(100 watts). I could never find the tip for cutting rope or canvas. I found the tip for the next size gun and drilled out the recieve holes on the smaller gun to accept the bigger tips/Works great.