Sail Drive Replacement Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dirk Hoogendoorn

I am looking at a Nash 26. The OMC saildrive is shot. Is there an other gas sail drive that I can put in there? The OMC is a 2 stroke and I was wondering if there is a 4 stroke saildrive option out there. In Ontario here I have called and I can get a Yanmar diesel but the cost is $10,000 Can$ and I am looking at an other option. Dirk H. I have heard that in the USA there is someone who has been using a Honda and adapted it for a saildrive, anyone heard of that? Dirkhoogendoorn@rogers.com

E

Ed A.

Yeah dont go there!

Honda used a 7.5 hp motor on a sail drive by volvo i what to say its an s-50 drive. its a very small unit parts ect are not longer available. the enging is a vertical shaft honda gas, and is mounted to engine beds inside. the drive is attaced to the bottom directly under the power head. a rubber gasket type affair keeps out the water. When the run the work great. We have on in the boat i race on. It will push the abbott 33 at hull speed with no problem and the folding prop on it works well. Parts are hard to find. if not impossible and the engine has a nasty habit of filling with water several times a yeah. This occurs on shutdown, wh have learned to shut off the water intake to the powerhead a second or two before we shut off the engine. and it seems to be ok. It is impossibe to find anyone to work on one so we purchased a used 7.5 honda outboard and did some adaptation to make it work. all componets are out of production and honda i think likes not to think about the whole deal. Abbott Yachts is Sarnia Ontario ( I think) is very knowlegable about these units and may be a ble to give you some additional information. they a across the river form Pt Huron michigan i think. The boat limitations for size and configuration may dictate what your options are than just whats available. good luck

E

Ed

Honda 280 Saildrive

Dirk, The new unit is a 12hp four stroke on a volvo leg. Go to http://www.saildrive280.com/ for more information. Although non owners seem more than willing to blast saildrives as less than wonderful, the owners of these (that I have met) seem happy.

B

Brad

What's so bad about saildrives?

With my limited knowledge, I would think for a smaller boat this would be a good solution. No stuffing box to worry about, no shaft to fall out, easy installation, compact. Is the whole concept inferior for some reason, or is it the execution to date that's been poor? I think Sail has a Saildrive article in this month's editiom but I haven't read it yet. Brad

Dec 14, 2003
Oday 25 Illinois
Here is where you can find a Honda....

...12.5 HP 4 stroke gas saildrive looks like it would set you back US$ 6,300 before installation, although it previosly had been advertised cheaper like US$ 5,800 in Good Old Boat and the advertiser indicates that it can be installed by a do it yourselfer. www.saildrive280.com I thought this would be a cool option for a small boat too, until I read the saildrive article in the Feb. 2004 issue of SAIL magazine. You will probably want to read this before you make a final decision. The big downside in my mind, based on the article is maintenance of the seal where the drive leg goes through the bottom of the boat. Obviously, if it is not maintained properly and a failure occurs it would be a bad deal. You should read the article it list advantages also as well as additional disadvatages. Hope this helps, Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.