Sail Bag Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 28, 2013
Oday 19 Canandaigua Lake, Finger Lakes, NY
Hello all,
I would like to buy (or make) sail bags for our O'Day 19 main and gib sails (for storage in the cabin while not in use). I can't seem to find a source online to purchase them, nor to figure out rough dimensions. (We bought the boat used and it didn't come with bags.)

Thank you!

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
You may be able to pick up a sail bag at a marine consignment store or a sail maker in your area Dede. It may be worth your while to buy a Mainsail cover and leave the Main on the boom all covered up.
I leave my O'Day 222 on a mooring behind our YC but years ago when I trailered my boat every weekend I used to leave my sail on the boom with the sail cover on it, tucked inside the cabin and ready to be attached to the mast after I raised it each time. I'd get the mast up and connect the topping lift to the back of the boom and lead it out of the cabin. It was like having an extra pair of hands to assist me in getting the boom out.
Back then, Davis was manufacturing a real neat sail jock which took the place of individual sail ties and it was always attached to the under side of the boom ready to spring into use. They quit making them years ago but I found a site that showed how to make one that works just as well that I'd like to share with you.
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityourself/sailties/sailties.htm

My sails are getting pretty old now but they still have that stiffness because I try to keep them covered as much as possible when they're not in use and I always let the outhaul off when I cover them.

On these sail ties: I found that 3/16" bungee cord works great and instead of making them up with a hook at each end, I just omit the hooks and tie the bungees to the eye straps at each end of the boom. That way, if the bungee stretches and starts to sag under the boom, I can take the slack out of either side and re tie it.

I thought I had pictures of it in one of my picture albums but I think not.
http://forums.oday.sailboatowners.com/member.php?userid=78449&styleid=1 At any rate, I'll post them now for you.

Joe

Attachments

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Sailcare.com sells a similar system to the one Trinkka (Joe) linked to: http://sailcare.com/sailjockey.shtml

I'm getting tired of using 2 nylon strap sail ties, so I may be buying this system from Sailcare soon...

I have also used two tarp ties like these: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=tarp+bungee looped together such that there is a ball on each end (like a little girl's pony tail holder.) The problem with this is that if you miss getting the balls hooked together, the ball will fly around the boom and hit you in the mouth. Or something...

Tying the sail to the boom is much easier if you have slugs. I have flaked my bolt rope main for the Harpoon onto the boom, and tied it off, but generally only for lunch/swim breaks, or overnight for the rare occasions I have the Harpoon tied at a dock. The girlfriend wondered why we haven't been "meticulously laying the sail on the boom" for the O'day. I said, we do flake the sail - it's just much easier with the slugs so it doesn't slip off like on the Harpoon!

Brian

May 28, 2013
Thank you, Brian! We do have a sail cover but since we're going away for a couple weeks, we decided to take the main sail down and store below. I am a newbie, and need to know what a "slug" is..

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
A slug is also know as a sail slide, guide... etc. Its the plastic thing attached to the sail that goes in the groove of the mast..

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Dede,

In CB's slug picture, the part on the left of the picture is the part that goes into the sail slot on the mast. The part on the right of the picture is the part that attaches it to the sail.

If you have slugs on your sail, you should consider installing a Mast Gate: www.mastgate.com. It's so much easier than using a sail stop to keep the slugs from falling out of the opening in the mast.

If you have a bolt rope that needs to feed up into the mast slot each time you raise the main, then you don't deal with sail stops anyway, you just have to keep the sail from sliding off the boom when you try to flake it over the boom for storage.

Brian

Dec 20, 2011
Oday 19 weekender New Milford,Ct.
Hi Dede,A friend of mine purchased some bags from local laundermat for 5 bucks.Looked like a great deal.Barry

May 28, 2013
Laundry bags! I never would have thought of that! Thanks!

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Depends on how you want to bag the sails.

My new sails for the 15' Harpoon are rolled and put into long, skinny bags from the sailmaker. I could make this type of bag in an hour or two using coated nylon duck from a fabric store.

The laundry bags would work pretty well if you flaked and then rolled up the sails.

The only sail that gets wholesale stuffed into the bag is the spinnaker.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.