safe heeling

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fabrizio

I just came back from a 25 knots 4' seas two hour struggle. It was my first time out with the 26x in such weather and after reefing the main and opening only half jib, we were still unable to keep the boat at a comfortable angle, we were constantly pushed down to 25 degrees. Being the first time in that wind, we did not know if it was safe to keep the boat heeling more or not. The problem is that anytime we would let it heel more, it would go down so quickly and swiftly that we thought it would not stop and eventually capsize. My experience with bigger fully keeled boats is that they eventually keep a heeling angle and mantain it, the 26x seemed to just keep going with no end in sight. I would like to hear from other 26 owners what they think. ciao Fabrizio Author: Edit this re

A

Ahmet

Fabrizio, I have noticed a similar tendency on my Max26X, however, she usually rounds up into the wind at those heel angles and straigtens out. Perhaps your mast is stepped too much vertical. You might get a safer feeling if you try yo increase the weather helm. One thing that I have not tried yet, but would like to experiment with is to create a poor-mans's traveler, or actually hank the mainsheet onto the leeward stanction base. I am not sure how solid it is, but on a reefed main it may be o.k. It would be interesting to see if anybody has tried this Ahmet

A

Anthony

Fabrizio , The boat performs best at 15 -25 degree heel, 25 is fine to sail at. In gusting winds I've found myself hitting 35-45 in gusts. This, while uncomfortable, is still within the boat capabilities. Still reduce sail area at that point, or before if possible. Keep in mind that the boat will heel less when the speed of the boat increases. You also have the option of sailing under reefed main alone, if the conditions dictate. I use the centerboard to maintain a balanced helm, this makes it easier to maintain a constant course in heavy winds. My confidence in the boats heel is a result of a guest at the helm causing the boat to go well past the 50 on the heeling gauge, when he turned the boat off-wind, from close-hauled, on the face of a steep 6 foot wave without releasing the sails. No water in the boat, though. It was time for me to take over again! Have Fun,

M

Mike F

Install a traveller and you boat will heel less

Install a traveller and you boat will heel less. When sailing in those conditions there are more options at your disposal. You want to spill the wind by using the tools at your disposal. Make the main as flat as possible, if you have a functioning outhaul while reefed pull it as tight as possible so the sail has as little draft as possible. With an adjustable back stay rake the mast backward. Next with a traveller, pull the main sheet far leaward, this will make a large difference in the heeling of the boat. I realize that you may not have all these tools available, but that is the problem with a motor/sailer which is at best always going to be a compromise. It is neither a motor boat nor a great sail boat but trying to be a bit of both, this works great in most average conditions, but once you start sailing in less than perfect fair weather sailing you need the basic controls that sailing demands. But the good news is if you want to take your sailing to the next level all the above can be added to your boat, they just take time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.