Sabre 34 Mast Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2004
- - Georgetown, MD
I'm about to make an offer on a 1984 Sabre 34 but am concerened about water damage. The cabin sole obviously needs replacing from water damage(I have an estimate and I'm okay with replacing it). Also, the bilge and shower sump are full of water. Is there a known problem with Sabre 34's leaking around the mast? If so, is there a fix?

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Mast leak

Don't know much about this particular model but generally speaking, keel stepped masts will allow rain water to enter the cabin area. Most of it will end up in the bilge however if drainage holes are blocked, some water may end up on the cabin sole. It's a common problem with keel stepped masts. Some builders like C&C actually planned for this by designing the mast step to catch the water and divert it into the bilge through well placed drainage holes. If the holes get blocked you might end up with water on the sole.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2008
Sabre 30 Mark III Friendship
Yes! The leak was a problem with the earlier Sabres (keel stepped mast). We looked at a few 34s with the same problem. While mast leaks are not uncommon for keel stepped masts, for some strange reason, on the earliier Sabres, the limber hole are not at the bottom to allow the water to drain to the bilge pump, but at the top (of the stringer)...so water sits and rots out the wooden base. Those too bad need extensive sole, bulkhead and mast base replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.