S25 sailing characteristics II (3 reviews)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doug LaVerne

The three reviews I was able to find, carved on stone tablets :) : "North Fork Forums ... Posted by Ira Perry on October 17, 2000 at 12:03:08: In Reply to: Re: Seidelmann 37 ... boat - I own a 1979 Seidelmann and am ... looking for information on this boat. posted by Jimmy Roche on October 16, 2000 at 12>28:38: ... I have owned a Seidelmann 25 for about 14 years, and Seidelmann's come in two flavors: Sort of normal and REALLY fat and beamy. I have a 10' beam on my 25! I don't which kind the 37 is, but the wide beam designs are not for beginners. At low wind velocities they heel a lot, which can un-nerve a rookie who isn't used to it. In heavy wind, however, these boats are ungodly solid and practically impossible to broach. They're very well built and as fast as most other designs of that vintage, and the wide beam gives a lot of space below." Probably printed fall of '03. You're welcome to try sailnet.com; fifteen or twenty minutes of going in circles told me they must be having trouble tonight. #2: "Owner's Review for 1978 Seidelmann 25. Author: Paul Canfield. Properly equipped this boat can sail very well in PHRF. I have a whole wall of trophies to confirm this. In the 1996 racing season our worst performance was one fourth place in about 40 races. Modifications include addition of deck hardware, Traveler, Genoa Cars, Sheet stoppers and etc. The keel and rudder on the factory delivered boat require fairing. The trailing edge on both sections are rounded off. These trailing edges should taper to a square flat edge about 1/4 inch width. The bulkheads where the chain plates attach to should be inspected carefully. They are likely in need of repair. The attachment pooint of the bulkhead to the deck is usually not very secure and it allows the bulkhead and the deck to move independently. The result is an oil canned hull when under load. Leaks will also develop. On my boat I glassed the bulkhead to the and extended the bulkhead down to the cabin seat. This solved both problems. To win races with this boat you will also require a smooth clean bottom, about 500 lbs of crew weight, good sails, good crew work and a bit of luck every now and then." Printed 9/23/'03. #3: "Owner's Review for 1981 Seidelmann 25. Author: Dan Schermerhorn. This boat needed a lot of work when I first got it ... especially on the electrical side. It had no bilge pump, and the wiring was old. These boats, from what I can tell so far, are very reliable, and they handle very well. Mine points as good as a Catalina, and for its size, has a good hull speed. I h aven't raced it yet, but am looking forward to doing so this coming summer." Printed 9/23/'03. I only have the dates I printed these (if that), and not the dates they were posted.

R

Randy

this beam thing.

Forsooth. I saw these on sailnet a couple weeks back, which prompted by inquiries here. This fat beam heel-iness has me stumped -- kind of counter inuitive for me, steeped in my marine engineering ignorance. Thanks for sharing these writ in stone reports -- if it were just me I'd be interested but I'm not sure this is going to be the boat for me and my family purposes, on the whole

D

Doug LaVerne

S25 tippines & beam

I'm not sure about associating tippiness with beaminess either. Possibly the underwater lines. It doesn't have that much wetted surface; has a reputation here as a fast boat. Look at home.earthlink.net/~merlin_ch > Sailing to see my 25 out of the water. When I can I may post that photo and a few others. Not the standard stolid, safe design with slab sides. Even if you don't go with the S25 you might be interested in looking.

P

Paul

S-25 hull design- Beam width

Yes the boat is beamy on the deck but not at the waterline. Although I never measured it, at the water line it is only about 6 feet wide. The combined effect of a narrow waterline beam and the hour glass shape of the hull create what is termed "low initial stability". In other words, it does not require a lot of force to initially heel the boat. A boat with a flatter bottom and wider waterline beam would have greater initial stability but would increasingly loose stability as it heels. As the S-25 heels, up to a point, it gains some stability. All boats increasingly loose stability at some point when heeded excessively. The point at which this occurs is dictated by hull shape. I believe the main intent of the wide deck on a S-25 is to take maximum advantage of crew weight. It allows the crew weight to be placed over a foot further from the centerline of the boat than would be possible if the hull sides came straight up from the waterline. If one thinks of the boat as a teeter tauter, as found on playgrounds, it is easy to envision the effect of moving weight out from the fulcrum. The better weight distribution also helps to overcome some of the disadvantages of low initial stability.

R

Randy

Good analysis

Great explanations, thanks. Either of you gents ever hear of a boat designed by the unfortunately named Larry Stoner? There's apparently a 24 and a 26. I looked at a 26 the other day, built in the mid 1970s I think. Outrageously beamy. Almost 11 feet. Don't know the waterline length. Also, somewhere on the net there's a site that gives all kinds of characteristics for sailboats of the sort we're discussing. I had it once, but lost it. Ever come across it? It would even compare boats for you. Thanks again.

Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
Carl's Sail Calculator v2.72.

FYI I just sent Carl the specs for the S25. Carl says it will be added within three weeks. See

Status
Not open for further replies.