S2 Trailer

Jan 14, 2014
S2 8.0 pultneyville
I own an 83 S2 8.0b and an trying to find a trailer. Im
new to this site and understand there in an advertisement area but havnt found it. Am currently on Andriod which may be part of the problem. My boat is on jackstands at our club, however i live a mi away and would like to have it home to work on in winter.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
The reality...

...it is nearly impossible to find someone selling a used version of the exact trailer for your boat. Furthermore, the 8.0 really is on the edge of trailerable, so many people probably didn't buy it with one. You will most likely have to do your best to find a sailboat trailer that is close and adapt it or modify a powerboat trailer to fit. A nice new sailboat trailer is about $5k for a 25 footer. I got a quote for my 25 foot Lancer, then found a trailer for a 25 foot Cape Dory that was nearly new for $3K. Then my Wife told me I couldn't spend3X the worth of the boat on a trailer. I told her that didn't make sense as the boat with a new trailer would be worth at least $4K. She told me she didn't have to make sense so I bought a bigger boat.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
There doesn't seem to be a way to access the Classifieds tab through the app but if you go through your browser you can likely access it.

Oct 8, 2013
S2 27 Delaware Bay currently
Bob, I didn't write anything earlier...but I would have sent a drink out of my nose if I was drinking one. "She told me she didn't have to make sense so I bought a bigger boat." Now I'm drinking one, so I had time to say something. :)

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I have posted the back story a few times...

In essence, before we married we discussed non-negotiable things. She didn't want to have kids and I wanted to sail and would own a boat at some point. A few years later my Cousin Mike passed away in his mid forties from cancer. I realized that waiting to sail just wasn't an option for me anymore. I got tempted to bid on a boat on that devil program ebay (which led to an embarrassing track record of other impulse bids...but that is another story) which was for sale by a local sailing club that I actually belonged to at the time. That is how I ended up with my Lancer 25.

Mentally I made a deal with myself at the time. The deal was that if I couldn't bring the Lancer back from its slumber...it had been sitting for about 2-3 years...then I really didn't deserve to risk spending a lot more money on a bigger boat. By the time the trailer discussion occurred I have had the Lancer for over three years. It was a maxi-trailerable with little head room and a broad shallow keel that made it slow and unresponsive. Still, I was feeling guilty about the $1500 winter storage year after year and the trailer was my solution to that.

So...at that point my reasoning was (a) that I had met my mental goal with the Lancer (b) I really could afford to spend at least $10K on a boat (c) the Lancer really was frustrating me because it sailed like crap (d) I am 6' tall and wanted to pee standing up and most importantly (e) I have a bad disc and sitting sideways with a tiller just wasn't working for me anymore...I wanted a wheel.

We looked at a 30' Cape Dory Intrepid for $10K, but this modern keeled interpretation of a Cape Dory had a Volvo engine and parts are getting nearly impossible to find for them. I read horror stories of owners missing whole seasons waiting for parts. Plus my Wife was uneasy about climbing up on the benches to get around the wheel under way. That meant a t-shaped cockpit. Well shopping for a $10K boat with a t-shaped cockpit netted very few candidates. Catalina 30's didn't get one until the mid 80's. That pretty much left O'days, older Cherubini Hunters and a few less prevalent brands. I checked out an O'day 28 after becoming convinced that was the boat for me. It just wasn't enough of an upgrade after the L25. What looked fantastic online really wasn't enough headroom. Plus the gelcoat on O'days tends to be really laid on thick and thus it had spider cracks everywhere.

I then found a Newport 30 owned by a guy one town over who was getting out of sailing. It needed to be converted to a wheel, but foolishly I felt I could do this upgrade myself. We got halfway through the survey before it was abandoned as the boat had hopelessly saturated deck core. We looked at a couple of newer Newport 30's but they had a new design with a fin keel. The hull lacked structural support aft of the keel and there was a huge dent in the hull of one behind the keel, possible from the keel being unable to support the weight of the boat. The other boat was absolutely mint inside but had cracks aft of the keel. My surveyor strongly recommended I abandon the Newport 30 and I agreed.

Somewhat dejected I refocused on Hunter 30's. During my first sailing experience on my Girlfriend's Father's Chrysler 26, their dockmates had a Hunter 27, which had seemed like a nice boat. To my chagrin, most that I found in my price range hadn't seemed to age well. So while looking for a good one I opened up my search to other options. That led to my finding an S2 9.2A nearby in my price range. I had actually been on a new one in about 1985 at a boat show and recall taking a brochure for this potential dream boat. Way back then I had focused on the Hunter 28.5...like I said earlier Hunter was attractive because of our neighbors H27. However, we had taken a weeks sailing lessons on a 28.5 up in Nova Scotia and what seemed a novel and attractive cabin layout to a 20 year old was less attractive to a 40 year old...climb over the settee to get into the vee berth? No thanks!

Anyway, I have hijacked this trailer post so I will wrap it up. So we saw the 9.2A and really liked the design. Nice glass work (S2 is known for it), nice cockpit, wheel, uncluttered interior and lots of headroom. However the blue tarp was tattered and scattering little blue snowflakes in the breeze. The nearly new ports had been improperly installed and had fallen off onto the deck leaving the boat largely open to the elements. It had clearly been on the hard for three or more years. On the plus side, I felt I could get a really good deal on it. On the minus side it only had a 1 cylinder Yanmar and needed a lot of work. My Wife stepped in again. She said "can't we spend more on a boat...if you buy this one I will never see you again because it needs so much work!" This led to the boat loan which led to Triple Play, which was the best 9.2A on the market at the time. It wasn't project free, but there is no such sailboat in my experience.

Jan 14, 2014
S2 8.0 pultneyville
Thanks for Trailer Input

Thanks for the input on the trailer, I think I will just keep looking or consider buying when I can afford to. I had a bad accident almost 20 years ago and almost took my foot off. Made it another 10 years working despite doctor’s warnings and 18 surg and finally had to let it go. At this point I made the foolish assumption SS wouldn't be an issue since I had notes from a doz docs warning of perm nerve damage if I continued. Thanks to a clerical error I went 4 years without a dime and with 3 kids to get through school and my wife who had just gone back, the boat was the first thing to go. I did get an apology from SS and I guess that made it ok. After all I only sold my big custom house after sucking out much of the equity, 2 new cars, and my boat.
We purchased some country property and built a house in the small hamlet of Pultneyville on Lake Ontario with a great view of the lake, I actually copied the design of an old New England boat house from sail mag which has a huge garage under and living space on top. My intent was to resurrect some of the old Herreshoff designs and concentrate on Cosine type boats. Sadly, as if my luck wasn’t bad enough, we got broken into before we closed on the house and I lost almost 30K of wood working equip I couldn’t afford to replace. My INS co of 25 years denied my claim since we hadn’t closed and I was acting as my own builder.
My wife’s education is finally paying off and has allowed me to get back into sailing. My S2 was purchased at the end of the season and I’m counting the days till launch. I guess it was exceptionally bad for me because I had sailed my entire life and not only became boatless, but have a view of the boats on the lake.
I think the new boat has motivated me to do a bit more and have started taking on boats to fix and sell. I’ve got bad nerve damage and live with chronic pain, but do have days where I’m well enough and a bad case of A.D.D. that won’t let me sit long.
The sailing community has been great and I am either being given boats or buying them dirt cheap. I’m wrapping up a Laser ll now and getting ready to start a Cal 21. I also have my eye on another S2 which I can purchase at a great price but that’s on a cradle and why I’m looking for a trailer. I’ve also found the best deals are on boats without a trailer that are hard to move.
Bob aka pultsail1

Dec 5, 2013
S2 8.0 Jacksonville, Florida
I just bought an 83 S2 8.0 with a trailer. But the trailer is a custom copy of a trailer made for a 9.2. The trailer cost about 5k to be made in 2006 and is cearly oversized for the 8.0. Whoever made the trailer, or designed the original trailer, did a good job. Its adjustable up to probably a 33 ft boat, and has axles for a max of 15000 lbs. Your best bet is to look for a sailboat trailer laying around, but like the posts said above, 2500 is the lowest i've seen in florida for a trailer big enough for a 25-26 ft boat.

Nov 27, 2013
S2 30 MICHIGAN CITY
I just recently purchased a S2 9.2C for a couple thousand so far it seems to be a diamond in the rough, but I haven't gotten into the engine yet, it does turn over by hand. I am in need of a main sail, would like to purchase used does anyone know what other brand boat sails might fit ? The Genoa is original 150 % but I would like to set it up on a roller system any ideas . Would you like to part with the 9.2 trailer hargodine00

Dec 5, 2013
S2 8.0 Jacksonville, Florida
I would not currently like to part with the trailer :) I went all the way from Florida to Texas just so I could find a boat with a trailer. Most down here don't have trailers. The 9.2 is currently what my next upgrade will likely be, unless I get crazy and go to a Beneteau First 35 or something. Which is another reason I was thrilled about the 8.0 I found on that bigger trailer. But I am probably in a holding pattern with my current situation for at least 3-4 years.

Oct 8, 2013
S2 27 Delaware Bay currently
On the one hand, I would really like a trailer for my boat. Then I consider that it would hardly be used, I'd have to maintain and register it. Plus, my pickup isn't ready for a trailer and is probably too small, so I would need a different truck with more gas expense. Then, my yard really isn't big enough to keep a trailer with a boat on it unless I put it where my last boat was vandalized. Suddenly I think I just won't have one.

Jun 4, 2012
S2 8.0B Choctawahatchee bay
I had a tandem axle trailer built with extendable tongue with screw pads, electric brakes, and keel guide for my 8 meter. I had to bring it home after ivan but the price if I remember correctly was 3500.00 now that was in 07-08 timeframe but the cost was very reasonable for what I got. The trailer was built in Columbus Ga. I think the name of the place was sail trailers LLC.
Here is the link if you have any questions lmk, good luck.
Greg
http://http://www.sailtrailers.com/