S2 9.2A on deposit

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
My Wife and I are moving up from a Lancer 25. We put a 9.2A under deposit yesterday and have contacted a surveyor. I went over the boat, but didn't have time to do so throughly. I tapped the hull and deck and found a few suspect areas, but nothing too bad and not unexpected in a 1981. I'd appreciate any S2 specific comments I can get on what else to focus on. She has a 2GM15 Yanmar diesel. For those of you who responded to my earlier post on 1 cyl vs. 2 cyl, thanks for the advice...I took it at went with not only a 2 cyl, but the best boat I could find in the area. It never ceases to amaze me what a couple years of neglect on the hard will do to a boat. One boat was covered with a blue tarp that was shedding fragments to the wind like snow, yet the broker said the boat had only been on the hard a year...yeah right...that was the 1 cyl boat. Another boat had "a few blisters" on the topsides...that broker left out one word..."thousand"...the boat's top sides were 70% covered with little gel coat blisters...all for only $18K! The boat we are (fingers crossed until after the survey) buying was well kept and used last year and the difference was night and day. Thanks again, Bob

J

Jim LeBlanc

You will love it

You will love your 9.2A, it is a great boat. We have 3 of them in our club now and they all do well in our club races. My 9.2 is my second S2, I also owned a 7.3, they are all wonderful boats to sail - fast, well built and dry.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Thanks Jim

It has been a rough ride so far. Even the "good" boat I found turned out to have rot in the bulk heads. All for the lack of $5 worth of caulk and a few hours labor :-( Oh well, fortunately the owner was able to make a competant repair (approved by my surveyor, who is a boat builder and worked for Cape Dory) and the sale is now moving forward. It ate a lot of time though, which is a pain. Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.