S2 9.2A Mast Compression Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2007
S2 9.2A Seattle, WA
I probably should have posted this last year. When I bought my 9.2A several years ago the door to the head was misaligned, the hinge side had sagged. I let it go for awhile and then started investigating. The floor at the base of the compression post at the forward side of the head was also sagged. I removed the holding tank and cut an access hole to get under the post. The post was sitting only on the floor, there was no support underneath. All of the loads from the mast came down to the floor and was pushing it down.

I removed the door, loosened the rigging and used a house jack to raise the hinge side of the door to bring it back up to where is should be. I then used a block of teak and some teak shims to support between the floor and the hull and restored the holding tank. The head door now closes almost properly and the floor is properly flat. Has anyone else seen this problem?

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I haven't noticed a serious problem, but have noticed that my head door is contacting the cabinet across from it in what seems to be a different location than perhaps intended. There is a teak door stop for the head door on the cabinet and now the door doesn't come close to hitting it. Hmmmm....thanks for the heads up. Your boat seems to be quite early (1976). Hopefully they addressed it for mine (1981), but from the sounds of things it might be progressing. Good to know if I have to take the holding tank system apart. The PO replaced the hoses...but it doesn't smell like or look like he did a very good job.

Mar 8, 2008
S2 30 9.2A Jax
Bob (and Bob) --

I think BobM is correct in that the problem was addressed in later models. I have an 85/86 and the post is supported under the floor with a fully glassed-in block that connects bottom of the floor (right under the post) to the keel. I've inspected it closely as it gets wet there from two sources: 1. mast run-off (pretty light, but it does flow downhill) and 2. when placing the plug into the knotmeter thru hole. The glasswork is good here and I have no compression that I can determine. I got to know this area well lately as I replaced the sole this spring with a Brazilian-cherry hardwood floor.

Of another note, I took the boat down to Key West this past month or so (staged at a few different locations so not to lose my day job!). What a great trip from Jacksonville. She ran great offshore and on the inside (from Miami to Marathon), but it sure does get skinny on the ICW side of the Keys (5.5 feet was typical for awhile). Otherwise, a great trip. Will spend some time this summer on her in Key West and then return for a slow ride back since work will not be an issue. I'll post some pics when I get a chance and feel free to ask any questions. The 9.2A might just be one of the best small cruisers out there (and small we were as it seems everyone else out there must have won the lottery with their huge trawlers, etc.!)...

Best,

Rick

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Update

Was on board Triple Play today. It does look like the compression post might be down a bit. Bummer. Something else to tackle on top of today's other surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.