s2 9.2A for the bay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flo617

Mar 4, 2010
none yet none yet nowhere
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase my first boat. I have a few years sailing on small boats (cape cod mercury, laser, rhodes19) and I recently got instruction on larger sailboat and got certified bareboat. I'm looking for a nice, pleasant boat for the San Francisco bay. One of my options is a S2 9.2A vintage 1979.

I don't necessarily want a rocket, just a boat that sails well and reasonably fast.

I'm not too familiar with those boats. I'd like to know what are the main issues with them and what needs to be looked after. How well do they sail in heavy wind, how well do they point? The boat I've checked does not have a jib track and the blocks are tied to the toe rail. I'm no expert but wouldn't that be an issue when sailing close to the wind?

Is there any issue with the encapsulated keel such as separation between glass and lead?

I'm a little afraid of maintenance on such an old boat. The boat looks great and seems to have been well taken care of by previous owner including a new engine and fuel tanks. I know that whatever you buy it's a hole in the water but...

I would really appreciate your inputs.

Thanks

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
S2 is known for better than average gelcoat and fiberglass work. The 9.2A's rating is average at about 180. Mine sails well and loves the wind. She heels initally, but I have had her 20 degrees over with the rail in the water in 20+ knots and she is quite predictable. The aft traveler has pluses and minuses. In windy SF it will be a plus to have the main sheet handy, a familiar control in a smaller boat but one not quite as used in larger boats which tend to just change heading to spill wind. However, the main sheet is long and can be a pain to keep under control sometimes, as it turns into a task to keep it controlled and not lying all over the place when sheeted in.

Blocks go on the toe rail. Admittedly that means that most people probably just mark one or two locations on the toe rail for conditions or differnent sails and move them infrequently. However, I bet most people do not adjust their genoa cars that much either. The track does give you more flexibility and it doesn't take much time to move them.

There should be no issue with the keel unless she has been grounded hard. If so, you should be concerned about water intrusion. It is more of a concern if it got wet and froze...not a problem in SF. The keel is typically epoxy encapsulated lead shot. Get a survey done for sure on a boat this size and complexity.

What is the engine in the 79? My 2QM15 (14hp) moves the boat to 5.5 knots at about 3000 rpm. That is fine for most uses but bigger is better if you are fighting a lot of wind, waves and currents under power routinely. If it is a 2 to 3 cylinder it is fine but 18+ hp would be better.

Typical issues to watch out for are bulkhead damage (see my project posted on this site) from leaky chain plates and wet decks. Look for water stains on the bulk heads. Have the surveyor moisture meter the decks or learn how to tap the deck yourself. Use a plastic handle of a screwdriver or a plastic hammer. Find a spot far from anything mounted or bolted to the deck and tap. You should hear a nice sharp sound. Go over to the chain plates and tap. This is a common wet spot. Not necessarily anything to walk away from the boat over, but don't be surprised if you hear a much duller sound in comparison.

Stains on the sole in the galley may indicate a leaky rudder stuffing box. Check the tabbing on the engine mounts. Smaller engines vibrate a lot and the tabbing holding the wooden engine beds to the hull was crap on my S2 and had to be re-affixed. Fixed ports and hatches on the 9.2A are acrylic and may be badly crazed. If the curved companoin way hatch is really bad it is a pain to fabricate and could easily cost a couple of thousand to fix. Don't be surprised if the mast lights don't work. This is common to most sailboats unfortunately. The water tank and fuel tank (you it is new) are aluminum and if they haven't been replaced are likely at the end of their service lives. Don't put chlorine in the aluminum water tank to clean / sanitize it. Believe me. I learned the hard way.

Check to see if it has a holding tank. The head and its systems may be badly out of date. Discharge overboard is illegal in most locations now. Holding tankage is likely limited. Mine is at the port bulkead under the L of the settee and is about 12 gallons. Two people can fill that in about 3-5 days. Pump outs are typically available and typically free. Just something to think about.

The tee shaped cockpit is great and not available on many boats of that era. Cockpit drains function well. Decks are plenty wide to move around on.

After initially looking at boats with a lot of fixed furnishings down below the open floor plan of the cabin has been great. In two years I haven't even set up the table as we eat in the cockpit. All the berths will fit a six footer. Something amazing in a boat this size. The vee is comfortable for me at 6.0 feet and the port settee forms a nice double. The hanging locker to starboard is great to have. Mine lacks a stove, but you can buy a burner top stove thing for less than $100 suitable for most uses. Storage on the boat is average for a 30 footer with one quarter berth.

Since the engine has been replaced, be sure to ask the owner if any work was done to the engine beds and to the exhaust. The original design lacks an antisiphon feature. Lacking it the engine can potentially suck water into the exhaust destroying itself. The danger occurrs mostly if you crank the engine for an extended period of time without it starting. You form a vacuum in the cylinders which can suck the water into the heads through the exhaust valves and exhaust.

Kenyon spars on my boat. Second boat I have had with them. No problems I know of except that mine has a fixed wire topping lift. Dealing with it is a pain as it hangs from the mast head loosely when the main is up and you need to tie it down out of the way somehow. Not a big deal. Just an irritation.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Pointing? The 9.2A points pretty well upwind with the standard keel. The fact that the spreaders are not back swept means she does well down wind too. I like the set up on my boat with a 135% roller genoa for regular use and an asymetrical with a sock for light air. In SF bay you probably want a jib or even smaller though.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Yes there is more. The aft traveler makes it impossible to mount a bimini that covers the helmsman (or woman) due to the main sheet. See attached. Just wanted you to know in case that was an important concern. I am prone to skin cancer and must wear a hat in consequence.

Attachments

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
from a working on it point of view...the only thing i see negative is that there is very little room under the cabin sole to snake things for and aft and also you may want to check out the area of the sole from the main bulkhead by the head all the way up to the v birth where it comes together for weak or soft spots in the floor structure....and of course check for blisters on the hull on the sea side ...you may not find any but if you do it will prolly be on the starbord side below the water line and the keel ...the reason for this is the boats were hand layed port side down and the starboard side up ...thuss gravity may have caused the weakness in the glass...as for the keel it was lead shot mixed in a concrete mixer and pored while still in fluid state and let to cure in the upright position .......by the way these are good boats and were in there hayday touted as being in the top five made in the us at that time and the lay out is very efficent and effective as well so far mine has proven to be a very well bilt boat with a lot of life left in her ...as far as sailing i have no idea how that will go as i dont know much about that yet (still refiting ) but when that time comes i have no doubt that it will serve me well .....good luck on your purchase......

regards
woody

flo617

Mar 4, 2010
none yet none yet nowhere
Thanks a lot for your inputs, I'll remember all your advices next time I see the boat.

I really hope the boats checks out ok. I really need to feel wind in my face and sheets in my hands

Did you do your rhodes19 sailing at Community Boating by any chance Bobm?

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I did it at Courageous. My Wife and I took a basic keelboat course in Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia and signed up for evenings and weekends at Courageous. Unfortunately I didn't take any lessons and really didn't learn anything except that a small boat is much more difficult to handle than a larger one. After the first season I saw Courageous selling a donated Lancer 25 on ebay and bought it for $1000. After three seasons with the Lancer I bought my S2. The first season with her was shortened by the comissioning her for the trip from Long Island sound to Boston, but I was on her for three days straight. Not much wind except for a nice run from Scituate to Boston in front of an incoming storm.

Right after her arrival in Boston I got pneumonia which wiped out the rest of my season. I was still weak the day she came out of the water. Lost half of last season as my Mom had surgery in FL August 5th from which she is just about fully recovered. I am looking forward to a lot of sailing this year during my, hopefully, first uniterrupted season in a while!

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Personally I'd love to have my 9.2A out on SF bay with some wind. I haven't flown my asymetrical yet and she does pretty well in light air, but with 10+ knots she is in her element. I took her out in a small craft warning last year and sailed around right outside of Boston Harbor with 15-20 knots blowing. I was just essentially fooling around as I was by myself. I didn't unfurl the genoa at all and had a reef in, but had a blast bashing around through the 3 foot swells for a while. Nothing I could have enjoyed on my 25 footer. The extra mass is a huge plus in those conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.