S2 9.2A Bimini

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussB

Nov 3, 2007
S2 9.2A Bay City MI
I have a 1979 9.2A with stern transom mounted traveler. I would like to add a bimini but have no idea how to extend it far enough aft to well shade the helmsman and not hinder the main sheet. Does anyone know of or have a good solution to this issue?

Thanks,

Russ

Mar 29, 2008
s2 9.2C NJ
I have a 9.2c. Same Prolbem. Could you have two biminis? A small one behind the traveler? I gave up on a bimini for this reason.

Mar 8, 2008
S2 30 9.2A Jax
With the stern traveler, there is no perfect solution. I've attached a photo to show how our dodger and bimini look. We went as far aft as possible, but had to stop at the mainsheet. It's a good set up, but does not cover the helm.

Rick

Attachments

Mar 29, 2008
s2 9.2C NJ
Oh, I see the 9.2A traveler is way back there. It wouldn't make sense to do a bimini behind the traveler. How's the headroom under the bimini?

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2008
S2 30 9.2A Jax
Under the bimini, it's about 6 feet, 4 inches and under the dodger, about 6 feet, 1 inch. That's about the most you can get on a 9.2A before the boom becomes an issue under sail.
Rick

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
http://www.thefedorastore.com/Solarweave-Treated-Cotton-Mesh-Safari-Hat-p/spf4.htm

The hat is very comfortable and water resistant.

The aft traveler is definitely a challenge for those who want a bimini. I looked into the Mantis shade as an option, but it can't hack being used under sail. Perhaps if you bought one and replaced the shade with a mesh or modified it to have some flaps that would open to release pressure (like on a patio umbrella).

http://www.pro-techt.com/catalog.cfm

In any case, anything that doesn't interfere with the traveler will have to fit aft of the boom and be high enough to clear the main sheet. Perhaps a variation on this.

I don't know how much protection it would truly offer.

Attachments

RussB

Nov 3, 2007
S2 9.2A Bay City MI
Thanks for the feed back.

I am considering having the stern rail modified to allow more step-through to the swim ladder. Perhaps I could have attachments for a small bimini added to the stern rail.

Thinking about my boat is sure helping the winter go by.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
bimini

Now you have me thinking about a bimini. I think a small one mounted at the top of the rail using those strapless holding arms sounds nice. However, I'd want to be able to close it easily, as sometimes I like to stand at the stern rail and enjoy the view. Therefore I think I would like the closed bimini to sit aft over the stern rail out of the way a little.

I don't know if you have seen them, but strapless seems the way to go in my opinion....but perhaps not if you can't close it easily.

http://www.geminicanvas.com/conversionkit.htm

H

Houston Jim

Bimini works fine on 9.2A

My bimini is about 7 or 8 feet long, extending from the main sheet to halfway over the hatchway opening. It has over 6 feet of clearance under it. The helmsperson is shaded or not, depending on the sun angle. I like to stand on the seat and look over the bimini to see the sail trim. Works well and I could not sail in Texas without a bimini.

Status
Not open for further replies.