S2 8.6 Prop Type/Size/pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2006
S2 8.6 Cleveland
Have a Yanmar 2GM 15 HP @3600 with 2.62:1 trans. Martec folder not working well and want to put on a fixed prop- likely 3 blade. Wonder what prop folks have used on this boat and how well it worked for them. Seems every prop manufacturer gives different numbers for the diameter and pitch as well...little confused by how to determine this. (although I've ordered a book on props...maybe that will have all the answers!)

J

jim 5569

See the other thread on prop sizes for a 9.2 with Yanmar engine. I have a 2GM on my 9.2A and I bought the boat with a 2 blade 14x14 Martec folding prop and I had trouble with it too. It would not unfold properly every time until I would put the transmission in reverse and reved up the engine. As I explained in my other post, one blade broke off of the Martec and I had to reinstall the spare 3 blade fixed 14x8, which the boat was likely delivered with.

I don't like the 3 blade, as the boat is slower both under power and under sail; I intend to reinstall the rebuilt Martec at my first opportunity. Based on the advice of the other thread, a 15X10 sounds about right (assuming it will fit with ample blade clearance to the hull). There are programs for determining the recommended prop size.

Status
Not open for further replies.