S2 8.0C Engine Compartment Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styx

Sep 6, 2011
S2 8.0C Erie
I have a 1976 S2 8.0C. I am doing a complete refurb. When I purchased the boat, the engine compartment and chart table were already removed. The atomic 4 was rebuilt and installed, but none of surrounding compartment was installed. The plywood separating the head and battery compartment from the engine compartment is still there. I have removed all the carpet from the boat and have almost completed re-coring the deck from underneath. It is time to start planning the re-build for the engine compartment. I am looking for pictures of S2 8.0C engine compartments so I can see what they originally looked like. If you have pictures or drawings or suggestions for this area, will you please send them to me? I will also be re-wiring the entire boat as well.

I am a newbie to this forum, so if I need to add more to this thread, let me know.

Attachments

Sep 12, 2010
S2 8.0c Ninnescah Sailing Association
Here are a few photos but I'll take better photos of my 8.0c setup this weekend. In the past a previous owner added an air conditioner towards the rear of the engine compartment taking space away from the chart table.

A quick description of my setup: the chart table pulls out to gain access to the top of the engine... a Yanmar YSM8 in my case. It is L-shaped and fits around the electrical panel leaving about a 2x2.5 foot of usable table space. There is a hatch on the vertical portion of the engine compartment that can be removed to work on the side of the engine.This is the same area our table top is stored when we're not using it. You can kind of see the view from the top and the side that I tried to describe.

Do you have any more photos of your project boat? If find rehabs interesting, especially when it is an 8.0c! The re-coring from inside sounds interesting.

Attachments

Styx

Sep 6, 2011
S2 8.0C Erie
Thanks for input. Looking forward to the photos you will send.

This is truly a project boat. I have taken a lot of pictures. Being new to the forum, I am not sure the best way to get them to you. Do I add them here or email them to you?

I am re-coring from the inside so I don't mess up the design on the deck. Attached is what I took out and how I re-installed the new core. I made patterns with paper and then spray glued the pattern to the underside of the new core and cut it out. I used thickened epoxy on both the underside of the fiberglass and the top side of the core. I then clamped it using a 4” piece of foam on a ½ piece of plywood, all wrapped in plastic. I wedge it up against the new core and held it in place with plastic pipe and 36” bar clamps. Once dried, I removed the pattern. It actually worked well. It retained and followed the contour of the deck perfectly. My next step is to put the under skin of fiberglass I took off back on and then patch seams. I am not going to replace the carpet. I have decided to lay up a layer of cloth, epoxy it, sand, and then paint. Lot of work, but I can do the whole deck and cockpit myself for about $1,200.

Attachments

Sep 12, 2010
You can add a photos here by going to your user settings and creating an album. The link will be on the right side of the page.

You could also upload to one of the free photo hosting sites like picasaweb.google.com and upload photos there.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Looks like fun

Be sure to wear the correct face mask and use tons of ventilation to deal with all the fumes or you will risk sensitizing yourself to epoxy resin. :cry:

Styx

Sep 6, 2011
S2 8.0C Erie
Re: Looks like fun

Thank you for the advice. I have been wearing goggles, mask, long sleeve shirt, long pants, hat, and gloves. All the ports and hatches are open and I work no longer than 3 hours at a time. I would like to find better eye protections. Do you have any suggestions for a particular type or brand name that seems to work well?

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA

No recommendation for eye protection. But keep in mind that you need a respirator rated for organic vapors, not just a dust mask, to protect yourself. In a pinch, most hardward stores sell cheap carbon impregnated dust masks for vapor, but I would get better than that given the scope of the job you have to do.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/how-to-prevent-overexposure-to-epoxy/

Styx

Sep 6, 2011
S2 8.0C Erie
Thank you for the pictures. This helps me a lot. What is the crank with the white handle used for?

Styx

Sep 6, 2011
S2 8.0C Erie

Thanks Bob. I will get one this week before I go back and epoxy any more.

Sep 12, 2010
Thank you for the pictures. This helps me a lot. What is the crank with the white handle used for?
That is for my centerboard that swings down. I have the shoal draft keel version of the boat.

Nov 26, 2010
s2 8.0 Jacksonville, fl
Klemsaba,

your middle picture shows a sensor on the deck(bottom right side). whar is that for? my boat has a wood plug in it.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.