S2 7.3M Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpg

Jun 5, 2009
S2 7.3 Melourne FL
Greeting from Melbourne FL. I have a 1986 S2 7.3 shoal draft, (2’10”) I would like to but on a trailer so I can launch and recover the boat at a boat ramp. The galvanized trailer I am planning to use has tandem axles and is rated to 7000 lbs. The tow vehicle is a Chevy Tahoe. My S2 is currently in the water at dock so I can’t take good measurements of the hull. The problem I am facing is I don’t know what the configuration of the bunks should be. If any 7.3 shoal draft owners trailer their boat, any information you can provide would be appreciated.
My currently plan is to use bunks( vs pads) to support the boat. Each bunk (2”x6”X??) will be supported by four galvanized post (2”X2” square tubing) bolted to the cross members of the trailer. The weight of the boat (approximately 3,200 lbs.) will be resting on the keel. The information I need is how far out from the center line of the boat should the bunks be placed and at that location what is the height of hull from the bottom of the keel? As for the fore and aft locution of bunk relative to the boat, where should it start and end. Also, any other trailering tips would be appreciated. Like tips on stepping the mast, what do you do with your outboard? Recovering the boat at the ramp?

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Photographic help

Take a look at these photos. Print them out and try to use the dimensions of a known object in the photos to guide your measurements a little. I'd base them off the waterline, which should not change too much from one boat to the next.

Keep in mind that you want to be sure that the weight of the boat to be on the keel, so a proper keel support is critical. The bunks or pads hold the boat straight. Personally I'd prefer bunks for launching purposes myself as well as the fact that they distribute the load evenly. Pads can cause some localized hull deformation (if the boat sits for a long time on the trailer) and really should be close to the locations of bulkheads, from what I understand.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.