S2 6.9 Daggerboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 1, 2010
S2 6.9 Grand Slam Lake Norman, NC
Is there a source for a replacement dagger board for a S2 6.9 Grand Slam. Or a drawing / general dimensions that are suitable to use to fabricate a board.
IE: weights, length, cord, width, etc. Any and all help would be appreciated.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
You can try faxing S2 (Tiara Yachts), as per the 13 page letter. They don't have the molds anymore, but may be able to help with dimensions.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
According to the 13 page letter, Tiara still had the 6.9 center board mold when it was written in 1998. Whether or not they still have it or will make you one is anyone's guess. Per the letter:

How to Contact S2 Regarding Sailboat Matters,

Specific inquires concerning S2 sailboats, parts, and information are handled in writing only. Obviously, our primary business responsibilities occupy our personnel resources these days, and staff that is still familiar with our former product lines now have other responsibil- ities. Our sailboat information was not documented in a format conducive to historical research. You may fax your specific requests to S2 Sailboat Assistance, (616) 394-7473 or mail them to S2 Yachts, Inc. 725 East 40th Street, Holland MI 49423.

Apr 1, 2010
Good morning Bob, Thank you for responding to my inquiry. I have been in direct contact with S2 (Tiara). Unfortunately they no longer have any documentation nor
the molds used to make the dagger board. The only thing I know how to do at this point is make trace the profile of the slot where the board exits the bottom of the hull and transfer that to another material. I am open to any suggestions and I appreciate all thoughts
Thanks, Howard

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Oh well!

Good morning Bob, Thank you for responding to my inquiry. I have been in direct contact with S2 (Tiara). Unfortunately they no longer have any documentation nor
the molds used to make the dagger board. The only thing I know how to do at this point is make trace the profile of the slot where the board exits the bottom of the hull and transfer that to another material. I am open to any suggestions and I appreciate all thoughts
Thanks, Howard
Given Tiara's 13 page letter, essentially something of a Dear John letter to us sailboaters, I guess it was too much to expect that they would keep the mold around. Was it lead or steel or ??? Perhaps Mars Keel could help you out if it was metal.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Re: Oh well!

Looks pretty dead over there. I suggest you hit their member list and look for a 6.9 owner nearby. Email them and ask if you can measure their dagger board. Good luck!

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA

There is a 6.9 on Lake Norman listed with a guy named Dave as the owner, but perhaps you have that boat now.

Apr 1, 2010

Hello again Bob, I had also been in contact with the folks at Mars Keel but again with out a drawing there is not much that the can do for me. Since I am newbie to internet sailing forums can you recommend any other web sites that may have more current activity? I went to the S2 class association web site http://www.sail-s2.org/ but it looks like it has been a long time since there has been any traffic. You noted in your last post that you thought there was another 6.9 here on Lake Norman. How can I contact Dave?
If he is in the area and still has his boat that could be the ticket I'm looking for.

Howard,

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA

His email is accessible through the site. I will email you a link since I don't want to post his email on this site without his knowledge.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA

Bad news, he didn't list an email address. I will send you his full name then perhaps you can use the phone book.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA

Looks like the forum for the class site moved to http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/s2/index.cgi/#8466

I looked and found this post a few days ago on 3/28/10. There was someone with a 6.7 looking for a center board. I'd call Chris immediately (901) 744-8500 as even if they sold it they can grab dimensions for you. Good luck!

First, right away, contact Chris Rooke at Rooke Sails, Memphis, TN. Several years ago he told me he had an extra 6.9 lifting keel. If you google Rooke Sails Memphis that will give you the phone # and contact info. I hope he still has it and you can buy it. Value? Just guessing, anywhere between $500 and $1500. Is your boat insured? If so, that may help ease the pain.

Apr 1, 2010
Hey Bob, Thanks for all your suggestions. I tried to call Chris but it was to late when I called. They had already closed for the weekend. I will try calling first thing Monday. I found a drawing for the S2 7.9 dagger board on line. I wonder if I could use as standard or reference to scale the dimension down to make a useable board for the 6.9
To continue with that thought I design precision metal cutting tools for automated manufacturing. I have many CNC machine shops that I work with daily. It’s almost easier for me to think in terms of milling from or building up an aluminum foil shape and filling it with lead shot epoxy rater than laying up a fiberglass or composite. Still I have to confirm the shape and the length at full extension below the hull.
Per your suggestion I have started to look around the trailer sailor web site. Thanks for the insight.

More to come,

Howard

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
If you have those resources available you might be better served making a solid center out of steel, coating it with POR-15 for corrosion protection then laying up the fiberglass on top of it. I guess it depends on the limits of the CNC machine.

Ballast for the keel is spec'd at 430lbs. According to wikipedia a 12 x 12 x 1 inch plate of steel weights 41 lbs. Draft is 4.5 feet, so if the keel were two feet wide and 4.5 feet long it would only be 370 lbs. With fiberglass you would probably be close to the right weight.

The aluminum is less ocean friendly and there is no guarrantee your boat stays in fresh water its whole life so there is no use limiting resale.

Mar 13, 2005
S2 6.8 Mansfield, OH
I would not use steel or aluminum alone as a keel. If you end up making one/having one made, make sure it has the proper amount of lead in the bottom of it. If you have the original, you could use it to determine where the lead starts and stops within the f/g shell. It seems like it would be easiest to repair the one you already have. Can you post several pics of it?

Apr 1, 2010
Hello Ed,
My dagger board (lifting keel) does not exist. It is gone. I do not have a reference point to start from. The only thing I can do at this point relates to the dagger board trunk, its width and depth length and its exit profile. I have thought about making the board from an aluminum plate bonding some foam to the plate. Then use a hot wire to form cut the foam. By using the exit profile at the bottom of the dagger board trunk I could make a template to finish sand the profile. Then cover the blade with fiber glass and vacuum bag it. I also thought about adding a lead bulb to the bottom of the board if extra weight were needed. As a safety component I thought about making the rectangular portion the guides the board in the trunk as separate piece from the blade but pinned to the blade. This would allow the blade to break away if I ran aground instead of doing damage to the trunk. The blade could have a safety strap attached to so that would not be lost upon impact.

The boat will be sailed in fresh water and is stored on a lift.

Any pictures, dimensions, weights would be very helpful.

Thanks for you help,

Howard,

Apr 1, 2010
No luck with Chris,
He sold that board over three years ago.

Thanks for the lead,

Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.