S2 36cc or 35cc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2008
S2 35C Victoria
removehtml] HI all I am looking to purchase a 35 or 36 CC . I like the 35 layout but the 36 seems like a stronger boat . Any coments on the 35 or 35 would be greatly appreciated. As well if you have seen any for sale you would reccomend please let me know EricError: Error: expected [/URL], but found [/removehtml] instead[/removehtml]

D

dhstrider

35C

Hi, we purchased a 35C this past Summer. One of the big reasons we went with the S2 35C was that fact that it is an epoxy boat and the somewhat neglected 21 year old hull surveyed "like a one year old boat" per the surveyor. I would say that the 36C is a heavier boat, but not stronger. The 35C has the G&S design behind it and is probably the better sailer by a lot. Particularly the deeper draft, though we have the shallow draft version. It is also the newer of the designs. It is, in fact, the newest of the S2 designs to be built. I believe 35 were produced during it's short two year production run, which ended when S2 ceased sailboat production. Our boat is hull 3 and, as I said, structurally very sound. When we bought ours, there were seven for sure on the market. I know that at least two of those were sold. There was one in MD that was a little high priced, but a nice boat and one sitting on the hard at Jabins that may or may not have been for sale. The Baltimore boat and the St. Pete boats were sold for sure. That left one in TX, AL and TN and one other in FL that I know of. I also believe that one called Fast Company came on the market recently - orignally owned by a S2 dealer as a private boat and most recently on the east coast of FL. Yacht World search will give you most of what is availible as well as a simple "S2 35 C for sale" search. As a plus, the later will give you a few sites giving info on the boat.

E

Eric

35 it is then

dhstrider: thanks for the info . I'm looking at a 35 in Seattle. My big concern is keel bolts , the cored hull and the interior doors binding perhaps hull deformation. Have you heard of any of these things beeing issues in the 35 , IT SURE IS A SWEET BOAT.

D

dhstrider

A few answers

I too was a little concerned about keel bolts. Some corrosion but not enough to worry the surveyor. I was there for the survey - a must in my opinion, and formed an opinion that the surveyor knew his stuff pretty well so I ended up trusting his judgment. Once on the hard, no separation was found between the keel and the hull so now it is a matter of replacing the nuts and washers one at a time if I chose or just cleaning them up and coating them so they do not corrode further. We also tested the strength of things with a few grounding on the ICW as well. No worries. As the boat is an early epoxy boat, the core should not be an issue. As long as the core has not been exposed to moisture through some kind of damage, it should be fine. Overall, the build quality of the S2 35C is very impressive. Probably better than most new boats today. We have two doors that bind a bit. The worst one is the one into the head from the salon. The other is the one from the galley into the rear cabin. As they are all close fitting, oval doors, this slight binding didn't concern me. I believe it could be more from the settling of the cabinetry around the engine compartment rather than really a hull deformation. Even if it is deforming to some small extent, an 1/8 to 3/16" after twenty plus years of use may be more than acceptable. One other thing, the way the chain plates are installed, if the inner rods are not kept the right length, you can deform the deck. Sight along the bottom edge of the cabin side where it bends out to the flat deck area from inside and you may notice a raised area by the chain plates. Once you see it, you will notice a gap between the teak cabinetry and the fiberglass at the chain plates. This can be corrected by backing off the rigging and shorting the rods back up. I believe that this could also deform the deck enough to cause a door issue. I’m going to find out later this week when I re-tune my rig. I got to talk with the original owner of Fast Company. It won a decent number of races for him when it wasn't being the comfy cruiser his wife wanted. As he was a dealer for S2 as well, he also said that the 35C was the S2 owner's baby and he wanted it to be the best available. Both the deep and the shoal keels sail well and, as you might guess, the comfort level at the dock is great. It is a center cockpit though, so expect somewhat more rolling than the normal aft cockpit boats of this size. We also have noticed that it is more difficult to see around the Genoa, but easier coming into the dock. Everything is a trade off and, at least for us, this boat was the best compromise of price, value and performance we could find.

E

Eric

Got It

I just closed a deal on the 35 in Seattle , It has a few issues but nothing that can't be resolved . Thanks for everyones advice . I will be turining in my Ericson horns and becoming a S2 guy,

Status
Not open for further replies.