S 37 Leaking Rudder Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Adrian Phillips

I have seen this subject listed twice now but have not seen any solutions to the problem. I have my rudder out at the present time and cannot see that there was ever anything on the shaft to stop the water coming up.Has anyone solved the problem please, Would appriciate any sugestions

May 11, 2006
- - Sarasota, FL
Rudder Post Bushings

Take your rudder and the bushings to Jerry at Anchor Machine in Tampa. He will make you new bushings out of some new high tech plastic material. The bushings you have in there are worn out like mine were and allowed water and sea creatures up in the tube. If you need any other help let me know, I've did this project in March and it was no fun figuiring everythign out on my own. Also. Make sure that your stuffing box is glassed into the tube perfectly. I found that mine had come loose because the screws from the stuffing box cap had poked thru the bottom of the stuffing box and pushed it up and created cracks. Nathan 813 426 3549 nathan@needel.net

N

Nice N Easy

Rudder post

What am I missing here. Not to doubt you folks, but I just purchased an S37. It is a 1981 model, hull # 65. I had read these reports before about the leaking rudder posts. Mine appears to be above the water line, at least when sitting. Is this a problem that occurs when motoring, with the stern squatting, or am I missing something entirely.

May 11, 2006
- - Sarasota, FL
Hey Nice & Easy

Glad you found your S37 in good shape. Regarding your rudder when under dynamic conditions, like under sail and intentinally variable power look at the steering quadrant. I predict you will see it almost floppling around because the rudder post busings are worn out and the bushing between the bottom of the quadrant and the top of the stuffing box is probably gone causing the quadrant cables to be misaligned with the steering pullys. Let me know how you make out... When you make it past Sarasota or Tampa Bay on your way home drop me a line. Nathan 813 427 3549 nathan@needel.net

May 11, 2006
- - Sarasota, FL
I stopped by to look at your boat

Adrien, I stopped by to take a look at your boat. They did a nice job on the bottom! Your rudder, rudder post and rudder tube are just like mine. The rudder tube is fiberglass, not metal like you thought it was. The bushings glued into the rudder tube are shot just like mine was. There was no ladder near by so I didn't go aboard to inspect the stuffing box but I would be shocked if someone removed the stuffing box that was installed originally. I recommend you remove the old bushings, (You will probably only get the lower ones out)bring the rudder and bushings to Jerry at Anchor Machine in Tampa (near Ybor) and have him make you some fancy new ones. Also I took a good look at the bulkeds on my boat and they conform to the side of the hull and are tabbed in on both sides of the bulked. There is no gap betwwen the bulkeds and the hull in any places. Nathan 813 426 3549

Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
Prop Shaft

Adrian, I also noticed that your prop shaft is not long enough. The prop needs to be at least two inches away from the strut that houses the cutlass bearing. Your prop is right up on it.

Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
rudder post

My 30T rudder post has a flang at the top which takes half inch packing material. It works just like the stuffing box.

Status
Not open for further replies.