s 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bay idyll

i recently purchased an s 34 which appears to be in very good condition. this is certainly not my first boat, and i have learned that each design/model has unique quirks and propensity for specific problems. other owners can usually provide invaluable info so i humbly ask any s34 owners to tell me what i should most likely expect to fail first on this boat.

Jul 10, 2006
- - Jax,Fla
Seidelmann 34

Bay Idyll; I actually have pictures of your 34 from the broker in my files.A very nice 34 specimen -best I can tell.This one looked like it was well cared for from the pictures & reveals a well founded yacht.However, not knowing just how old the pictures are makes a bit of a difference, as boats go down hill very fast when left unattended and uncared for.In your case, I see a nice yacht.In my case[hull #021 built in 1982] there were a fews issues.First, I think I was the 2nd owner( but I do find that hard to fathom) and the last owner left her to die[ie-lost interest].Price was extremely good, so after my survey, it was game on. I intend to rebuild the yacht from bow to stem....long story short and from what I gather from reading what other 34 owners have to say there are only 2-3 problems to be aware of.The rudders and lower bearings seem to be an area to pay attention to.Also I had a few areas of rot at the hatches on deck where the end grain bulsa had not been sealed well at the factory and water intrusion had caused the wood to rot.Fortunately, I did not see the same problem at the 8 opening ports, but I have spoken to owners of 34's who did find rot there as well.Most of the problems you will encounter are do to old age and poor maintenence, not poor construction.You will read stories by owners who say Seidelmann's are tender...to some extent this is so but I can sail my boat offshore in 30+ winds and any manner of seas with the proper reefs and balance of helm she is a rocket.But then most sailors who own 34's do not have BOC or Transatlantic off shore experience as I do and will not venture out on a day when it is blowing dogs off chains!.I chose the Seidelmann 34 because as a professional boat builder and yacht racer they had the headroom, balance, speed and most of the things I have come to see make for a good offshore and EXCELLENT near coast sailing vessel.I had considered this boat back in 1983 and have a letter from Bob Seidelmannn telling me of his thoughts on the new design.The problem areas you see will be the same as on any yacht from 24 to 124.It is all about up keep and maintenance. I would say- sail your boat every day in most any conditions....there are many on my dock who think I'm nuts to sail in 24 to 30 knots ....I say, not so____ if you leave the dock in 10 to 15 and 3 hours later you got 30.......if you have sailed in 30-NO PROBLEMO!!Stay at the dock all season and you will learn...well, maybe how to change your fuel filter, but not how to sail your 34....there is just no substitute for sailing. In my mind you have chosen a very good yacht and I looked at 50 + other brands and the Seidelmann 37.My objection with them was the inner liner.I have sailed the 37's and they handle well on any seas and in any winds.If I had not found this 34 I more than likely would have gone for the 37 Seidelmann.If I can give you any more info, call me at 904-349-6872 or Email : fmfdochawk@yahoo.com.I think you have a very fine yacht! Fair winds and Following seas! Cheers- Capt.Hawk RogueWave

E

eventchef

thanks cap'

thanks so much for your very thoughtful and encouraging reply. i had already determined that this was a great sailing boat from bringing it home in a 20+ wind. it was fast and responsive and all of the systems seem to function. the engine has obviously been well cared for, and after diving to look at the hull and scrape the prop and rudder, i believe that the hull is sound.i got this one from a charity, it was donated, and i suspect the previous owner has since passed on.i sail the chesapeake regularly throughout the season here, and in the fall i will most likely head down the icw.i'm pulling her out next month to do the bottom. otherwise she appears to be very well loved.

S

Skipper Fred

Bay Idyll

Tell me more about your S34. I have been looking for one on the Bay I met some years ago that had added a bulb on the shoal keel. I was sailing my S30T in those days but now have a S34 "Promises". I don't see your boat listed in the Seidelmann-owners group. You can contact me at skipper@kellermanns.com Fairwinds Skipper Fred

B

bayidyll

not much to tell

good to hear from you fred, this is my busy season with work, so i havent had the chance to yank the s34 out of the water yet. she may well have a bulb keel, idont know as i bought her in the water. what i can say is the this is one fast sailing boat. i go out as often as possible and even with growth and barnacles on her keel she flies like nobody's business! i can only imagine what she'll do with a clean bottom.when i haul her i'll post the results of the survey, but so far its a great boat. my only concern at the moment is that this boat may not be up for near coastal sailing. my previous boats have all been "blue water" sailing vessels, and i suspect that the s34 may be more of a bay boat. any input?

S

Skipper Fred

Bay Idyll

Been out sailing and just looked back. Please keep me posted on your S34. There aren't very many thus a close group. I can't advise what to look for in way of failures other than keeping chainplates and any other through deck or cabinhouse holes such as the guards over dorades sealed. Any failures in the clauk will lead to delaminations. This is common of boats built in that period. We now know that any through holes should have the balsa end sealed in epoxy. This year I put a Maxprop on Promises and have more drive and speed which may or may not have turned up that my rudder packing started leaking. I was able to snug up the 3 bolts on the packing gland and stop any leaking. First time I have had any issues since I bought Promises in 2000. As far as going off shore I would say that she is light and responsive (tender). You will have to reef earlier than some boats but then as you said she is fast which says there are always trade-offs. With her up swept bow (beautiful lines)and combings she is a dryer boat then say the S30T or S37. So how hard she is sailed depends more on ones experience. I think she is a solid boat and deserves more respect than she gets. Visit other S34 owners by visiting us at Seidelmann-owners.com Have a great day, Skipper Fred

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
S34 - maxi prop

Tell me more about the maxi prop. I have always thought that the S34 was a little underpowered (especially when docking while dealing with a current or heavy wind) and wondering were the benifits of the maxi prop worth it? Does it sit a lot more? How much better is it in reverse? What is your speed under power at what RPM. It seems like with my three bladed prop at 2000 rpms it is about the same speed as 2800 rpms with a lot more noise. Has there been any maintenance issues with the maxi-prop? and does it clank when in goes into reverse or seemless?

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34

I have to agree with the others, the boat has been pretty much normal maintenance except for leaking around chainplates on occasion (which you should fix ASAP to prevent further damage) and for me, around the opening ports. I just needed to remove the ports, take out the needed to remove the rotted end grain balsa, refill the voids and reinstall the ports. Not as bad as it sounds. No blistering of the hull has been noted, but my hull and rubber will be expoxied this winter. I had a recent survey done which indicated that the rudder had moisture in it but I've also heard that it maybe hollow - not sure really on this one. Good luck with your boat, Neal Blitz - 1984 Seidelmann 34, shoal draft

B

bayidyll

maxi-prop

i also am finding that the boat seems strangely sluggish under power. any way to remedy this? not that i need to pull a skier but im lucky to get 4 knots.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
maxi-prop

I'm getting more like 5 knots at 2500 rpms with no current and a three bladed prop, what do you have for a prop? what RPMs are you running? also, are you full of barnacles, especially on the prop - this can severely effect the efficiency....

Nov 11, 2005
- - Galena, MD
Max-prop

First per PYI's recommendation for my Yanmar 3GM30F I went up 1" to 16" prop. Clearance is not a problem because the prop actually sits back a little from the original. The prop is new this season and thus far very smooth. I made my own tools to replace my cutless bearing without pulling the shaft before installing the new prop. my tach is intermint but at 2500 I am doing 6 knots and at 2800 6.2 but the stern is really squading so I usually run 23 -2500 rpm. At first it seemed that there was terrible prop walk but it may have needed to break in to get complete reverse of blades. No more shaft rotation while sailing indicating it must be feathering and hard to tell about increased speed but I feel like it helped light air speed which was already good. I would say my speed under power is up approximately .4 to .5 knots. Oh yes I back my boat into the slip so backing is important to me. I'm relearning (is that the way to put it) handling reverse. I can say it will really move in reverse but the prop-walk is very different from the original 3 blade but everyone always comments about how easy I make it look backing in. All I can say is do it, the more you do it the more you get a feel for her reaction. There is no way to get around you have to have deep pockets for this prop but so far I'm happy. Someone said there speed was only 4 knots better check the bottom and prop. I will say one season I lost a half knot because I painted my prop, don't know why but I did. Since 1983 except for that one year I have always sprayed the living hexx out of it with a dry teflon spray. The prop is almost white when launched and has always been clean when pulled in December. Fair Winds, Skipper

B

bayidyll

brilliant!

brilliant suggestion, spraying with teflon!! i dove on the prop and scraped the barnacles and slime, but summer weather and a calm harbor ensure that the prop and rudder are carpeted within 2 weeks. when i pull her to do the bottom i'll definitely get some teflon spray. funny i didnt lose that much speed with my last boat,a moody 30 with a volvo md11c.

Status
Not open for further replies.