rusted keel bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 12, 2006
- - Florida
Anybody ever had a problem with rusted keel bolts on the fixed keels? I have a small leak in the front of the keel that I plan on stopping from the inside.Seems like a lot of trouble to replace the keel bolts. I wonder what the cost of having someone do it or do the iron keels just totally need replacing after 36 years?

C

Cleat

Replaced keel bolts...

With the boat on the hard I replaced the bolts on my 1969 Columbia 26 Mk II. In the process one broke under the level of the interior hull. The other three where relatively easy even though they were quite rusty partially because I had the right tool to grip the bolt ends without the nut. On the one that broke I ended up drilling (sawing really) around it and then backing it out. I then coated half of the replacement bolt with wax and put it in. When done I filled the hole with fiberglass and resin. The job was more about figuring it out than doing it.

Jan 12, 2006
- - Florida
removing the bolts?

Were you able to remove the bolts from inside the boat or did you have to take the keel off from under the boat? My keel is bleeding through the paint from all the corrosion.I realize it probably needs to be re-glassed, but right now I am just trying to keep it from falling off.The boat is a C-22.

R

Roger Ehinger

beachdog57 or anyone, what is the C-22 keel made of and how are the bolts anchored in the keel? Cleats reply sounded like they were threaded rod that could be backed out, others say they are like a j with a hook imbedded in a lead keel when poured. The question being I guess is, can C-22 keel bolts be backed out? The present owner of the one I am considering has not seen the bottom, muchless done bottom paint, blister checks etc. so he doesn't know. thanks Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.