Ruptured Gas Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Ted Bates

Just purchased a 1971 MK 1 C & C only to find that the gas tank ruptured draining approx 9 gal into the cabin - has anyone else had this problem and is there anything else I should be looking for as a cause. Should note that I am a new boater.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
IS THE GASOLINE

still in there?:eek:( What was/is the fuel tank material? Don't light any matches! If the gas is still in there call the fire department for help. If there is no liquid gasoline present but if you can still smell it, open the boat up and duct some air into it with blowers. Don't do any thing until you elimate the fire hazard!

Jan 2, 2006
- - CT
Caution!

If there is the odor of gasoline present, you need to use an explosion proof exhaust fan. Meanwhile, the overwhelming majority of experts on C&C's hang out in the forums and email list at: http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/index1.htm You'll find a few hundred folks there, and many of them are true wizards on various aspects of C&C's and boat repairs, maintenance and upgrades. The Sailboatowners forums are good for many general topics, but for specific C&C expertise, that's where you will find it in abundance.

Jan 2, 2006
- - Kenosha
Ted, the current, January 2006, Boat US magazine has a brief article on "Ethanol Suuspect in Older Fiberglass Gas Tanks". Article suggests the ethanol attacks the resins in the fiberglass tanks. Boat US is seeking responses to this apparant problem at cfort@boatus.com. They may have some more detail on this subject at website or perhaps a inquiry with Google will turn up more info. Good luck! Bob

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
The Moyer Marine website also has issued the

or referred to the BoatUS issued caution. Not only does the ethanol based gasoline destroy the old fiberglass tanks but also causes great harm or destruction to the engine when these dissolved chemicals start to burn inside the engine - very harmful/destructive deposits. The epicenter of this 'mess' is Connecticut, New York and New Jersey where they recently switched from gasoline with MTBE to gasoline with ETHANOL. The ethanol reacts with the older resins in the fiberglass, forms tremendous gums as it essentially dissolves the tank from the inside out, doenst burn well in the combustion chamber, builds up and destroys the engine. (Many thanks to the eco-freaks on this one.) Don Moyer is probably the world's leading authority on Atomic-4 engines ... his website: www.moyermarine.com .... go to his forum for further info.

T

Ted Bates

The tank itself appears to be the original and I really don't know what material that is. I am informed by the Marina that the MK1 is easy to repair in that just about any tank will fit. All gas has been removed and the boat is not clean. Any thoughts??

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
There are hot water

pressure washers available for hire(rent) one of those and a shop vac will let you clean up the mess. As for a new tank don't get one overly large. Determine your usage for a given length of time and the convenience of refueling and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.