Running Rigging

Apr 5, 2018
Hunter 27 Still Waters - Lake Martin
I recently bought a 1992 Hunter 27 wing keel, Fractional Sloop with roller furling, which I have been reworking. All of the running rigging was deteriorated or missing. I have searched but nowhere can I find drawings showing the arrangement of the running rigging. If anyone can provide drawings or pictures of the running rigging in mast, boom, and deck lines or send a link where I can find that information, I would be most grateful.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Leastman..
It is fairly straight forward...

Running rigging - Basic
  1. Halyards
    1. Main
    2. Jib
    3. Spinnaker
  2. Sheets
    1. Main 1
    2. Jib 2 Port and Starboard
    3. Spinnaker 2 Port and Starboard
  3. Furler
    1. Jib - Furler line
    2. Asymmetrical Spinnaker - Top Down Furler line
These are the basics.
1625979749720.png

Do you need blocks, winches and line lengths?
Check with the SBO shop. They can be a great help. Check the resources in the SBO Hunter 27 forum you may find a listing of the lines, the recommended length and size.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Look at page 12.9 in this link for running rigging on a Hunter 27: H27 4.21 Deck Hardware 6-18-07.indd (sailboatowners.com). Assuming you already have running rigging, take photos of how the lines are rigged BEFORE you remove them. Also attach a tag (messenger) line to the end of each, pull the old lines through, remove, measure, replace and then reverse the process.

Oct 22, 2014
WOW... That is a pretty listing of the various systems and design features.

They have come a long in documenting boats. With my boat it was here are the keys see ya... They assumed you knew what you were doing.

Feb 21, 2013
WOW... That is a pretty listing of the various systems and design features.....They have come a long in documenting boats. With my boat it was here are the keys see ya... They assumed you knew what you were doing.
Yep!! I have rarely seen a detailed running rigging diagram for a sailboat, not even for my Hunter 46. However, after one or two sailing lessons one can learn enough to run the running rigging on almost any sailboat.

leastman........suggest taking photos of the running rigging (as proposed in post # 4 and making your own diagram for you and future sailboat owner's documentation.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
. They have come a long in documenting boats. With my boat it was here are the keys see ya... They assumed you knew what you were doing.
For my Ranger 29 they gave me a couple of mimeographed sheets and a pat on the backside.

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
I did not get the backside pat... It was more of a boot... Get out of here kid you bother me....

Apr 5, 2018
Hunter 27 Still Waters - Lake Martin
Thank you all for your responses. The problem I have is none of the running rigging is intact, from past experience, I have a fairly good idea of where various sheets and halyards go, but every mast and boom is different so what I think is correct and what is really correct may be slightly different. Thanks so much for your help and suggestions.

Feb 21, 2013
Consider asking the previous owner to show you how the running rigging should be run OR ask one of your marina sailboat owners to help?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think you have a chance to re-design the running rigging to your taste and use of the boat. The way it came out of the factory isn't necessary the best way for you. There is no right or wrong way (OK, there's way wrong) but there is room to re-make it for your use.

Oct 22, 2014
Halyards
  1. Main. Goes on or port side or Starboard side as you plan, of mast. If run to the cockpit organize the lines in order. Priority given to fair lead. They Main sail needs to drop when you release the halyard.

2. Jib/Genoa. Goes on opposite side of mast. it is your second priority.

3. If running a spinnaker or asymmetrical then this is your third halyard.

4. assuming you have a traveler on the cabin roof. The lines go on the outside. They will be frequently used.
If you take a picture of you cabin and the blocks we can be of greater assistance.