running rigging replacement.

Oct 18, 2019
Hunter 37 cutter St. Joseph
i bought a 37c that has been sitting on the hard for about 6 years now with the mast on a rack. all that time with the sun shinning on the ropes has taken its toll. i woold like to replace all the running rigging so i was wondering if there is a list of rope sizes and lenghts needed for the boat. i would like to run all the lines to the cockpit. thank you.

Oct 18, 2019
Hunter 37 cutter St. Joseph
btw, if it makes a difference i have a 79 with the traveler in the cockpit

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I looked on this site and on the internet and did not find a running rigging schedule of diameters and lengths as shown in later model owner's manual. You might be a be able to determine the running rigging length for the halyards from the boat's dimensions shown in the attached manual. You can also go to this site's running rigging calculator to determine the length through the attached link. Finally, you can remove each line by connecting a tag line to each, remove each, replace it and reverse the procedure to install the line. I recommend to selecting the correct line (diameter and elasticity) for each service by referring to the Samson Line Section Guide.

Attachments

Feb 1, 2014
Watkins 27 North East, MD
I did mine by scaling the drawings from sailboatdata and stepping off with dividers. Add enough for knots, splices and tailing, then add a bit more. You can always stow some excess line; but you can't make a cleat when it's 3 feet short ;)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
For diameters, measure the lines you have. Your halyards are probably 3/8" but easier to simply measure the ones already there. Of they measure a bit under a standard size, just go up to the closest larger size. As far as length, think about if you are going to change anything and if not, then as stated above, just run a tracer line, leave that in place for your new line and measure the line that is there. The advice to give yourself more is well founded!

dj

Aug 10, 2010
Hunter 36, Quarter Berth Model Placid Harbor, Cuckold Crk, Patuxent River
I use 7/16" (11mm) for the main and Jib halyards - I purchased the line from Fisheries Supply (they had the best prices I could find at the time) and then spliced my own shackles. Considerably cheaper even when you factor in the fid kit I needed. I used 115' for the main halyard (controlled in cockpit) and 120' for the jib Hayward (controlled in the cockpit) - but my H36 is probably slightly different than the H37. ...I use 1/2" for jib sheets...