Running Halyards Aft -- Don't skimp on parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Camarena

Last season I routed my halyards and other control lines aft on my '81 C-30. I was never happy with the installation. The added friction was so high, I could hardly pull the sails up and I'm close to 6' tall and well over 200 lbs. I quickly reverted to using the mast mounted winches. Anyway, a little investigation this weekend showed that the sheaves on the two 3-sheave deck mounted deck organizers were binding under load and not turning at all. I might as well have used a piece of broomstick. I'd purchased the low-end non-ball bearing turning blocks on sale ($25ea, usually $40). This weekend I replaced them with $81 ball bearing deck organizers from Harken. The sails now go up very quickly and easily. My budget minded approach ended up costing me an extra $50, a season of frustration, several extra hours of work and six extra holes in my deck. As a dyed in the wool do-it-yourselfer who's always looking for a bargain I have to admit that I've had this type of experience more than once. Maybe this time I've learned not to skimp on critical parts (high-load parts in particular). In most cases there's a good reason the more expensive parts cost more.

Status
Not open for further replies.