Rum Tank

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Let's nerd it up Mike. Disclosure: I have degrees in geology and chemistry and worked in the environmental cleanup world for 20 years before saying F it and becoming a captain in the Caribbean.

40% rum has a flash point of 116° F. That is from the SDS for 40% rum. Which is closer to diesel than gasoline. The flash point for 55% rum is 73° F. which is close to gasoline. We don't carry large quantities of overproof rum. I have zero concern carrying liquids with a flash point above 100°F in a plastic contIner. Show me one cruising boar that doesn't carry at least 5 gallons of gasoline in a plastics storage container.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I believe the greatest risk is falling after consuming some of the tank's contents!!!

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I believe the greatest risk is falling after consuming some of the tank's contents!!!
Good point:laugh: That's were you manage the risk. Don't drink and drive and since you have to make the rum last, there's that too. I want to see the final tap hookup when you get it done.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
You can find varying numbers with different references but ranges are the what you want to look at especially if those ranges are well within normal temperatures experienced. The SDS of the actual product is the most accurate. My original post on the subject is that it needs to be given respect as a flammable liquid and the components used need to be of the same quality and compatible with flammable liquids. Seeing the picture, the pump and plumbing come to mind. I know I would not transfer gasoline with a pump like if it wasn’t rated for it. Maybe it is....

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Not that I want to water the Rum down BUT we have been consuming spiced Rum with Ginger Ale and a wedge of lime
During hot weather... YUMMMMM
and it extends the Rum- makes it last longer!!!!:cool::biggrin:

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Let's nerd it up Mike. Disclosure: I have degrees in geology and chemistry and worked in the environmental cleanup world for 20 years before saying F it and becoming a captain in the Caribbean.

40% rum has a flash point of 116° F. That is from the SDS for 40% rum. Which is closer to diesel than gasoline. The flash point for 55% rum is 73° F. which is close to gasoline. We don't carry large quantities of overproof rum. I have zero concern carrying liquids with a flash point above 100°F in a plastic contIner. Show me one cruising boar that doesn't carry at least 5 gallons of gasoline in a plastics storage container.
Congratulations on your chemistry degree..... I agree with your point about storage and feel comfortable with gas like everyone else. As my previously posts stated, as long as the components are rated for the product then cool. Its not a problem unless they fail and it spilled/leaks in a enclosed space. I'm sure you have it all figured out. The area where it is installed wont see 116f.in the Carrabean anyways....by the way since we are geeking out, gasolines FP is -45f, hardly close to 73f in my book.

Oct 4, 2014
Catalina 310 73 Monterey
Love to read stories of rum smugglers.... Reminded me of a Navy flight to the Caribbean aboard our patrol plane. The need to land and the return flight loaded with rum in the wing tip tanks. Those were the days when a Pentagon posted Pilot could get some flight time and make friends happy at the same time.
On an old job we operated three old DC-130A planes for the Navy. Because we did not have the pylon tanks for fuel, we had an 1800 gallon tank in the cargo bay for fuel on long trips. At our first stop back in the US after a trip out of the country, a customs inspector looked in through the door into the cargo bay, saw the tank, and asked "What the heck is that??" With a straight face I answered "RUM!" He smiled, and looking around the plane he realized it would take days to find and search all the hiding places, asked if we had anything to declare, and signed us off.
While I like the idea of a rum tank, it would make our favorite drink somewhat harder. Take the zest of about 5 or 6 limes and put it into a bottle of good rum, let it infuse for 5 or 6 days, then strain it off. That mixed with pineapple juice is great! My wife named the drink the "Sailor's Kiss" - it starts smooth but can get you in trouble quickly.
My favorite rum is from BVI. Callwoods Dark. A tiny 400 yr old pot distillery, they don't make very much quantity. The only downside is it may not be consistent batch to batch, it varies from good to amazing. On our first vacation together in 2005, my wife and I decided it was an exceptional batch. These were the days before liquid restrictions on flights, and we brought 10 bottles back in our carry on bags.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
On our trip to BVI we stopped by Callwoods distillery and found it fascinating, not only is it a small batch distillery but they are so friendly and happy to let you taste all the rums!
We brought back some Callwoods spiced Rum...YUMMY and the distillery has lots of true island flavor-highly recommend stopping by!

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Mount Gay on ice with a splash of tonic water and a lime. Now if my wife had her choice we'd be sailing to New Zealand for some Sauvignon Blanc.
Livin the dream Jesse!