rudder post details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2011
S2 9.2a Bradenton
thanks again for the info

my r#ference for the media blaster $ervice was related to the bottom job im planning on doing..

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
in that case do it ....i scraped mine of but it took about 5 - 7 hr days and was very nasty.... then i sanded off the gel coat another 4 days....repaired the blisters...then put on 6 coats of west system barrier coat additive with 105 epoxy non stop on a 85 degrees day...this took 3 people ....one mixing and 2 rolling.....

regards

woody

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Slop in your wheel

If the wheel is unresponsive it is likely because the cables are slack. Given the state of everything else you should consider replacing them. Be warned though, that new ones stretch during break in and must be adjusted shortly after installation. Edson recommends a 10 year service life for cables and most people never replace them, me included, but I do grease my cables and check them for fray every year.

Mar 23, 2011
S2 9.2a Bradenton
if I can get new cables I will.

I adjusted them about a year ago, and that helped..

thx

Sep 6, 2011
Bergovoy said:
if I can get new cables I will.

I adjusted them about a year ago, and that helped..

thx
They are probably Teleflex cables. If you replace them lube them once or twice a year with T9 lubricant. Makes a big difference. I just replaced the cable to my kill switch (people had been pulling hard for a while and it looked like it was about to break the panel) and the corrosion was nuts on the old cable in a freshwater environment. It may have been the original I don't know.
SC

Jul 30, 2012
S2 8.0C Ocala
This is exactly the post I was looking for except I am dealing with an 8.0C and I have to replace the wood block. I am not worried about the time it will take to do it right since I want the piece of mind while I am sleeping. My big concern is about disconnecting the steering quadrant; is it very difficult? Can I return the helm to center and lash it to the post then simply unbolt the steering quadrant?

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
The wood is tabbed to the hull with heavy woven Matt and resin. If they needed some help matching the hull shape they thickened some resin with a filler, like colloidal silica to a peanut butter consistency to bed the wood.

Jul 30, 2012
S2 8.0C Ocala
Thanks for the resin tip BobM; what about the quadrant? Is it hard to remove or is it simply an unbolt-rebolt piece? I am heading to the boat in the morning to start prepping for the repair and really only the quadrant is concerning me now.

Status
Not open for further replies.