Rudder/motor challenges

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chip

I'm a new owner of a 1993 26s. I love the boat but find it awkward to control both the rudder and outboard motor when I power it back into dock. It seems I have too few hands. Is there a way to connect them so I can turn both rudder and propeller using just the tiller? I'd also appreciate any advice if you have a technique that that makes this easier?

M

MArk

E.Z. Steer

These guys (related link) probably make one that'll work. I've never used them but I see their ads in the sail mags. Their rod attaches between a bracket they supply for the trailing edge of the rudder and a clamp that goes around the midsection of the outboard. I would call them at 800-634-7838 EXT 33

J

jack bolen

rudder?

we have the same boat and love it. i just tie the rudder up and steer with the motor.slowly

J

Jim Hughes

rudder

Only time I steer with the motor,is when I'am backing out of a slip, in a crowded marina.Otherwise it,s always the rudder.It just doesn't turn as well going backwards.

R

Rick Tenan

Steer the motor?

Chip: My motor is locked in place and cannot steer. It's a Honda 9.9, but power shouldn't make any difference. I have plenty of control going forward or backing. The rudder on the 26S is plenty big, just remember to control leeway by keeping the board down when maneuvering in the marina. Also keep in mind that the rudder steers by the water moving past it, not by thrust, like a motor. You must keep making way to have rubber control. I sail Lake Erie out of Mentor Harbor. It's a busy place and a rough lake. I like having the motor locked. Much less hassle! Good luck, Rick Tenan s/v DevOcean

C

Curtiss Grant

Rick T is right

In addition to Rick's comments, I would encourage you that as you get more experience and your 'second guessing' improves, your confidence will greatly improve. Secondly, if you have a 5 HP motor, it takes a little time for the boat to respond. I have found that brief 'goosing' of the power (in tight spaces) allows me to keep the speed down and yet maintain steering. For best steering ability, leave the keel down. If you have a cross tide/wind, then the MAC will move around quite a bit (builds character). I seldom move my motor, 5 HP, except in a tight space or strong winds. It is tricking and takes time to develop the skill.

R

Robert

Don't get in a hurry..........

Chip, I know the the feeling your going thru. I have already had to repaint my rudder from the prop scrapping against it. Most of the problem I ran into was reversing away from the landing or dock etc.,etc. or having to turn hard in one direction or another. What I usually do is simply not drop the rudder until I've done all the manuvering necessary to pull away from the dock, etc. and am traveling in a more directional line. Because of the limited space for turning the motor handle within the transom well, I flip the handle up out of the way and use my hands to turn the motor using the top cover of the motor. Slow and easy are key here! Then when under way, I drop the rudder. I reverse the steps on pulling up to the dock etc. I have also found that by not dropping the keel until I'm ready to sail, I have much more control while using only the motor. Also, I am always fully ballasted before leaving the dock.

Status
Not open for further replies.