Rudder Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2009
2 21 Toronto
I know that there are many options out there to improve our rudders, making them easier to deploy and retract. My Sirius 21 rudder was a bear to work, resulting in me leaning over the stern and struggling with the lines on cleats, etc. Once I lost my nice hat, I resolved to improve the design.
Attached is a photo of my installation. Essentially, I removed the cleat that was there, and installed a small cheek block and a camcleat for the "hold up" line. Note that it is angled up toward the cockpit - a little more ergonomic. I probably should have had a fairlead before the camcleat to retain the line when it is released (ie. sailing). The "hold down" line is still fed up aft of the pintles to a jam cleat.
I have no idea how "stock" my rudder is - so this may not necessarily apply to yours. It works well so far, and doesn't allow the rudder to inadvertently fall down when pulling the boat up the ramp (ask me how I know!).

Apr 12, 2007
Sirius 21 Barrie ON
Nice installation Dave! I'm going to have to borrow your idea. Thanks!
The worst oops I remember happening to me was when I was backing down into a ramp and the rudder blade dropped :eek:. Could have been disastorous for the rudder and transom, but I was going dead slow, and someone yelled at me to stop! So I agree that the "stock" set up isn't very reliable. Mine is a single line affair using the jamming horn cleat.

I'd like to see how you ran the hold down line. Did you use the same cleat?

Eric

Feb 16, 2009
2 21 Toronto
Nice installation Dave! I'm going to have to borrow your idea. Thanks!
The worst oops I remember happening to me was when I was backing down into a ramp and the rudder blade dropped :eek:. Could have been disastorous for the rudder and transom, but I was going dead slow, and someone yelled at me to stop! So I agree that the "stock" set up isn't very reliable. Mine is a single line affair using the jamming horn cleat.

I'd like to see how you ran the hold down line. Did you use the same cleat?

Eric
Hi Eric,

Glad you like the setup. I still use the s/s jam cleat for the hold down line - you can just see it in the pictures. The line is fed up through the pintles - I have no idea if this is stock or not. It seems to be working for me - it's easier to pull ithe line straight up to lower and lock the rudder. I haven't had it come loose, yet!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.