Rudder make-over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 1, 2013
Precision 18 Trenton
I have tuned everything on my p-18 rudder. (Tooke apart every piece, washed everything, varnished the wood, give the rudder a new coat of epoxy...) But I don't know what to do with the two metal plate that hold everything in place. They look beat up and ugly. I know they were originally black. But now they're just ugly and I don't know how I could bring them back to their original color or just make them look good. I thought of lightly sanding them then spray paint them with a flat back. But I don't if its worth it or if there's other ways.
What should I do?

(Sorry for my bad English, English isn't my first language)

Many thanks,

Marc.

Jun 3, 2011
1985 Pearson 303 Pearson 303 RockPort,ME
I have tuned everything on my p-18 rudder. (Tooke apart every piece, washed everything, varnished the wood, give the rudder a new coat of epoxy...) But I don't know what to do with the two metal plate that hold everything in place. They look beat up and ugly. I know they were originally black. But now they're just ugly and I don't know how I could bring them back to their original color or just make them look good. I thought of lightly sanding them then spray paint them with a flat back. But I don't if its worth it or if there's other ways.
What should I do?
(Sorry for my bad English, English isn't my first language)

Many thanks,

Marc.

Dear Marc; I would take them to a metal place and have redone or purchase new plates from Precision Boatworks MFG. in Fla. IF however, they really are that bad.. It will cost you allot to have them repaired..just not worth the effort.. Just replace them with new ones. Regards StarGazer:thumbup:

Apr 1, 2013
Precision 18 Trenton
Thank you for your response! I will check with my local metal shop or even with the local marine shop.

Apr 1, 2013
Precision 18 Trenton
After some research I've discover that my two metal plates are blackened stainless steel. Getting them back to their original color by a professional or my self would be too much costly. So I've decide to simply give them a fresh new look and sand them with grinder and sandpaper flap.
(Photo below shows before and after)

Thanks for the help!

Marc.

Attachments

Aug 15, 2012
Precision 21 Newburyport MA
Sometimes simpler is better. The plain stainless steel looks good. Nice job!

Status
Not open for further replies.