Rudder locking disc installation

Oct 4, 2010
76 Catalina 22 Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY
I just disassembled the rudder casting to install new CD Locking Discs and found there is no bolt holding it together but instead there is a threaded rod going through the rudder. The rod is secured in place by unknown means or adhesives. Am I correct that it should just be a bolt going through the locking discs and rudder. I will assume I can possibly remove what is holding the rod in place, fill with thicken epoxy and drill for a bolt. I do not know how original the rudder is to my 1976 C22. Thanks as always. Example pictures attached.

Attachments

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
here's what the original C22 kick-up looks like (on our '84)....you tighten up the lever on the discs, captive hex bolt on stbd side, lever on port side to squeeze the blade in the casting and "hold" it in the down position, (which is quite unreliable). Get the nylon shear pins from CD to keep it down (unless you hit something hard), follow instructions to make an epoxy plug in the blade and drill thru that to keep out water infiltration into the blade. Kick-Up Rudder Shear Pins
The hole thru the casting is already there, below the discs as you can see in your pic, that's where the shear pin goes.....fwiw

Last edited: