Rudder Drain Solution for our Hunter 386

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
We purchased a 2002 Hunter 386 last October. During the inspection, I was informed that there was moisture in the rudder. I was also told that most sailboats have the same issue. To resolve, in fall you drill holes in the rudder to drain, then epoxy in the spring. Our salesman suggested screws. So, that's what I've done.
I filmed the project and have uploaded to Youtube if you wish to see,

Enjoy!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Interesting...sort of like a garboard plug for your rudder.

Hope the screws are water tight.

The PO of my boat repaired a moist spot in my rudder, but refilled the holes with epoxy. I haven’t had to reopen the spot in the last 5 years...here‘s hoping you have the same success.

Greg

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
We purchased a 2002 Hunter 386 last October. During the inspection, I was informed that there was moisture in the rudder. I was also told that most sailboats have the same issue. To resolve, in fall you drill holes in the rudder to drain, then epoxy in the spring. Our salesman suggested screws. So, that's what I've done.
I filmed the project and have uploaded to Youtube if you wish to see,

Enjoy!
Well, I agree with what you did, but perhaps a suggestion. I did the same thing in my 40.5, but used 1/8 NPT instead. NPT with Teflon tape is water tight. Also, you can buy bronze NPT drain plugs meant for purpose. Also, the hole is larger, so drains easier.
little concerned that you used brass inserts. In fresh water they are fine, but not salt.
With this in mind, I’d suggest using an Allen screw for the plug, and then covering it with 4200. Easy to dig out when removing the screw, and keeps the brass away from the water