rubber bumper strip

Aug 17, 2014
Oday O'Day 22 Maryland Marina
I recently picked up an O'Day 22. After the season I would like to make some repairs. I would like to replace the bumper strip but there is a bit of broken edging on the channel. It looks like the whole thing can be removed. Any idea where I can get the channel and strip?

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
I imagine you've got the basic two piece rigid rail and rubber insert. I replaced about 12 feet on my boat, the aft foot and the transom.

D&R Marine sells it. In fact, I am pretty sure they are the only place you can purchase a match for the old rigid rail. Anyway, it's pretty easy to repair- the black insert is probably pretty stiff and weather worn, but you can still get it to come out of the channel. Remove it past the damaged part, then remove the screws and shimmy a piece of cardboard or Masonite between the hull and the rigid piece to protect the hull. Use a hack saw to cut it.

It's easiest to caulk the old screw holes and drill new ones, using caulk to seal those as well.

If you need to turn a corner with the rigid rail, a heat gun works well, as long as your careful and patient.

Dec 27, 2011
ODay 25 Smithfield, VA
I found the rail a bit cheaper than dr on line at pier supply. Dr is a great resource though. Incidentally, install is interesting. Patience is key and a heat gun would have made life easier. There are a few threads about sealing the rail, make sure to read carefully or you'll end up with lots o water inside. First rule of boating, water stays on the outside!