Rub Rail Help

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
Took my very nice ODay 28 to a marine for some work that had all steel docks. Single handed the trip. All bumpers and lines were prepared in advance. One line to the bow, an additional line to the stern. Lifelines were removed. Stepped off the boat and onto the dock ease. Very windy day, but was very careful with the landing. Before I could make the final "fine tuned" adjustments to the bumper the boat drifted ever so gently into the steel dock. Not to worry cause the bumper protected the hull. Unfortunately the windy day cause a wave, the wave went down then up, causing the black part of the rub rail assembly to hit the steel dock. THe rub rail frame is fine, but the black rubber section popped out (about 3/8 of a inch) about 3-4 inches long (length).
The rub rail structure is fine. The black rub rail is fine, but now is a "camel hump". Anyone successfully fixed this minor blemish? Any suggestions?

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Alas, things like that happen to everyone. Got any pictures? It's hard to understand exactly where this camel hump is.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Call Rudy at D and R marine. Explain what happened and he should be able to offer you some advise on how to re-insert it or the cost for a new part. Please report your findings so others can benefit in the future

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I would apply some heat and soapy water and see if you can pound it back in with a rubber hammer.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Your rub rail material is a vinyl extrusion that slides in a track. When pulled out mid track you have two issues. The hump is like a threat on a shirt that gets caught and pulled out.
  • You need to push-slide-encourage the rub rail to return to the proper length.
  • you need to position the fins on the bottom/top of the rub rail to go back into the track
Using a plastic tool you can try to gently push the fins back into the track. Work both sides.
While working the fins try to smooth the surface length wise.

Here is a typical design by Taco Marine. There are hundreds of different shapes.
1691591089860.png

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
This happened to me, also at the splash dock. (Sounded like a dejavu). I took a rubber mallet and as it was a hot day the rubber was pliable and it popped right in. I continued to tapp, to either side of the "Hump" to make sure it was in the track. It will survive!!!!

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
Thanks everyone for your replys. I was thinking of the rubber mallet approach myself.
THe boat was at the service well for 4 days, and my pickup was afterhours. After talking abut the repairs I wa there for I mentioned the "camel hump" rubrail. My statement to the service manager was "this is no big thing but ... I'm not asking you to repair it, but your yard staff would have certainly had to deal with this in the past. Please give me your expert advise on how to fit it. When I got to the yard there was no "camel hump"????? Check my voice mail and yard foreman said he checked the boat and saw no camel hump. No issues now, but wonder if I would have gotten there during reagular business hours, would I have seen a "rubber Mallet" in his back pocket?

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Looks like your Yard peeps value you as a customer. There are other places who would not have been so customer service orientated. Good for you.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
It’s not uncommon. I use a rubber mallet and hot soapy water. Hot water makes it more pliable. A little soap lubes it a bit, then taps with a mallet works it back in.