Rough water in a Mac 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff G

I am looking at a Mac 25 to sail on Lake Michigan. The boat is in good shape, setup to my liking and reasonalby priced. My only concern is that it's light and squared off, which may not handle Lake Michigan chop. Does anybody know how this boat handles in 2 to 3 foot, or larger waves?

D

Doug Rodrigues

Roller Coaster ride

Sounds like San Francisco Bay. Be realistic, the boat is light and not designed for such rough conditions. The only experience I have in such waters is San Francisco Bay. If the wind waves are over...say 4 feet?...the only thing I could do to maintain good control was to take them as head-on as possible. The bow will become airborne and then slam down into the trough between the waves, and then occasionally almost become a temporary submarine as the bow almost wants to submerge into that next wave. As the bow quickly pops-up (because the boat is so light) from that next wave, the water on top of the deck gets thrown over your head, but sometimes into your face. Quickly turning down-wind, the boat surfs the waves and picks-up speed you wish that it could do with sails alone. The keel cable screams at high pitch. You don't dare turn the boat sideways to the waves. Ducking behind the Berkeley Marina breakwater, I would then proceed out the other end of the breakwater and back into the Bay for yet another thrill ride. This was only an occasional condition in the Bay Area. The waves there are usually about 2 feet. There is another guy that I occasionally read on this site that sails in San Francisco Bay in his Mac 25. He can confirm my above discription of rough water sailing in "The Slot." The Slot is that area of Bay that is directly down-wind from the Golden Gate Bridge and the open ocean . I should add that the full keel boats are not much more stable in those conditions either. They just don't bob around in the water as much. Please don't take a first-time passenger out in such conditions. You'll scare the hell out of 'em and that would be the last time they ever set foot on another sailboat. Keep your front deck hatch screwed down tight.

C

Chip Giles

Not too bad

We have crossed the gulf stream during storms with seas at 8-10 feet. You take the swells at an angle. First you start to sail up the swell, an during the upward motion, turn the boat at an angle to the swell. When you are coming downward in to the trough, turn the boat back straight down. You get the hang of it. The 25 is a pretty tough boat. It is a light boat, though.

D

Doug Rodrigues

Good story...

Hey Chip, Put your link on this thread also. That was a really good story you wrote about sailing to the Bahamas.

D

Doug Rodrigues

Chip's story link....

You've got to read Chip's story about his trip to the Bahamas. It's great!

Status
Not open for further replies.