Rope Clutch Install??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Hi all,

I'm planning on installing a couple of rope clutches on the pads located on the cabin top, on either side of the cabin door. I need to know the construction of these pads so that I can decide what method to use. When I removed the spinnaker cleat, I seemed to hit a small space and then what felt like sheet metal.???

Has anyone drilled into them yet to find out? Or, has anyone mounted anything on them?

I tried looking into past posts with no luck....after searching for line/rope clutch installations, etc..

I would really appreciate some assistance.

Thanks,
Ralph

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Sometimes called sheetstoppers for additional search ideas.

Many have reported that there are metal pads underneath the fiberglass. Some haven't found them as their gang of clutches gets wider by adding or installing doubles or triples.

But only YOU can tell what's on your boat, we can't, and that's also because over the years all of the individual C30, 34 & 36 boats are simply different. Tap around with a mallet.

If there are none, drill through and seal, use finish bolts down below. If there are, chose to either drill and tap or drill through anyway and do the same down below.

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Thank you for the input..........

I will add what I find on my boat.....when (and if) the snow melts. We will finish up with about 20" here in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn. Anyone for Groundhog stew??

Sometimes called sheetstoppers for additional search ideas.

Many have reported that there are metal pads underneath the fiberglass. Some haven't found them as their gang of clutches gets wider by adding or installing doubles or triples.

But only YOU can tell what's on your boat, we can't, and that's also because over the years all of the individual C30, 34 & 36 boats are simply different. Tap around with a mallet.

If there are none, drill through and seal, use finish bolts down below. If there are, chose to either drill and tap or drill through anyway and do the same down below.

Oct 13, 2004
Catalina 30 MkII Tiburon
I also have a Cat 30 MkII and about 2 years ago I put all new rigging (running and standing) on my boat due to a mast problem (also got a new mast, but that's a story for another time). With all this new hardware I decided to put new clutches on both the port and starboard cabin tops. I purchased Antal triples and mounted them on each side in the area you're talking about. You're correct, there is sheet metal encased between the deck and the cabin headliner. On my boat it matches the profile of the mounting pads and is thick enough to tap and run machine screws through. In fact, this is how the original clutch was mounted. Given all of this, I have no reason to believe that your boat would be any different, however manufacturers have been known to change things mid-stream before so who knows. Good luck with your modifications!

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 30 Lake Champlain
Adezafra, forgive my simple mind, but if I'm understanding you, you used machine screws to install the clutches and did not use nuts and bolts (for which you'd presumably need access inside the cabin). Is that correct? I ask because I just purchased a C30 (1989), and there is an old rope clutch on the starboard side but none on the port side (just a horn cleat). I'd like to replace the starboard-side clutch (I installed Lewmar clutches on my Oday 23 and loved them) and add two clutches to the port side. But the headliner in the cabin is fiberglass, and I don't see any access from inside to the hardware on either the port or starboard side. I'd like to avoid cutting holes in the headline if I can.

Thanks.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.